Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Pendant

Default Remote Pendant

Hi,

A friend of mine recently purchased a used Shopbot PRT Standard that is running Version 3.6.46 Software on a Compaq Laptop that is utilizing Windows 7 Home Edition operating system.

I am trying to hook up a wireless remote pendant that plugs into the USB Port for jogging around the table and other functions if possible.

There has been other threads about this subject but most of them are somewhat dated.

Ken and Brad have utilized the older wireless Logitech Wingman controllers with success. Not sure which windows operating systems they are currently using.

I am in the process of trying to locate a wireless controller for use as a pendant and would appreciate any current information that may help. i.e. brand and type and model number of controller, where to download the operating software. How to load the software and if any settings need to be activated or modified in the Shopbot software to make it work. Also would appreciate any other pertinent information that may be of help.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

John

Path of least resistance is to get a Logitech MK520 wireless keyboard & mouse combo for around $40. Super reliable via bluetooth. If you want something smaller - you'll probably spend more & get less utility and/or reliability out of it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Remote Pendent

Hi Brady,

Many thanks for the input.

I was looking for a wireless video game controller i.e. Logitech that would allow me to move around the table when positioning an X laser while locating the X/Y Zero datum position on parts where the datum point is away from say a wireless keyboard and mouse location.

John

Wireless Logitech RumblePad 2. Easy to setup with the 'bot and works like a charm. I've had mine for years and wouldn't be without it.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Default Remote Pendent

Hi Adrain,

First, thanks for your valued input.

I talked to the tech support guy at Logitech this afternoon and he said that there was a possibility of disconnection if other wireless devises are nearby with the Rumblepad2. Their newer wireless F710 controller is running encrypted software on 2.4 GZ which helps with this issue. Both the RumblePad2 and the F710 support macros and both are wireless. Pricing on e-bay is around $30.00 for the F710 models with the USB 2.4 GZ receiver.

In talking with Brad, one of our shopbotters, he indicated that he even assigned one of the buttons on the controller the letter (K) which enabled him to do jogging.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer input. Once I get this working for my buddy I will do a little video and show you guys what I came up with.

John

Never had an issue with mine with disconnects and I have several other wireless devices in the area. They are more modern ones so probably avoid the RumblePad frequency automatically.

It's amazing how much you can control with one. I use the sticks for moving around, one of the back buttons as Ctrl so I can jog while moving the stick.

Pressing one of the sticks down engages nudge mode and pressing one of the other buttons emulates shift so I can nudge in 1/10th steps with the stick.

A press of another button performs a C2 so I don't need to go back to the keyboard and I can even load and run a file with other button presses.

There are lots of posts on the forum from people using them and some have even posted their configuration files from what I remember.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I tried one of the RP2's back in 2005 and after a week or two it started flaking out & losing communication. You can read up on settings and things like that others use for theirs here. I gave up on 900MHz & 2.4GHz devices because there is just too much electrical noise from all the motors running in the shop to be reliable. I have found the Logitech bluetooth kb & mouse to be totally rock solid. It's nothing to grab the kb and plop it down on the table while doing critical alignment or just running C2 etc. In fact, it is easier to use one handed than a Rumblepad.

FYI - ShopBot had a 'remote pendant' all the way back in the late 90s. It was corded. They both sold it as an accessory & also gave you a parts list to get the components to build your own from Radio Shack. It only allowed one axis to move at a time & you had to cycle through the axes to get the one you wanted. It was simple & worked. I think I have one laying around here in the spares aisle.

Also, those with keen eyes may note a checkbox in keypad mode that is labelled 'remote'. This can be selected and you can use the mouse to toggle through axes and move them + or -, just like the original corded pendant.

I had often considered making a real manual pulse generating pendant for the ShopBot, but it would be expensive and time consuming...so it's wireless keyboard for me. (Everybody knows how cheap Shopbotters are...so I could never sell them! LOL!)

See if the RP works for you in your shop. Turn everything on...and move, jog etc. That's really the only way to tell if it will work for you. As a word to the wise - keep the e-stop handy. You may need it. Mine use to run away and not respond to kb commands using the RP2.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I can concur with Brady. I used to have one, but it has a new home now. If you didn't cycle the joy sticks initially to get them centered/orientated, it would keep moving and not stop until you did. It also tried to drill through my spoilboard with my 1.5 planer bit!

I've recently been using a Logitech K400 and kind of like it. It's small enough to not get in the way on the table (5.5" x 14"), light weight for holding one handed, has a touchpad with left/right buttons along with a left click button on the top left corner of the keyboard. Uses the FN key (or Alt) and arrows for page up/down. Best of both full keyboard and mouse in one unit, all SB functions with no programming of macros for buttons. I just need a large screen monitor/TV on the wall behind the bot now. My only complaint would be that the symbols on the keys are a bit shiny and at some light angles are hard to see.

Brady, I used to have (made it per the plans) one of those old pendants too! Must have let it go with my old machine cause I don't have a clue where it is. Your description just rang a bell.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    I've recently been using a Logitech K400 ...
    I can dig it! I saw one of those in BB and passed it up. Might not be a bad addition to the Desktop...

-B

Yes, you do have to cycle the sticks through their range before moving the 'bot but I just treat that as part of the checks I do every time I start up.

You can avoid using the sticks and use the pad for X/Y movement and the right hand buttons for Z movements. They work without a "warmup".

I did stop using mine for a while when I went to a touch screen (I need to get another one as I loved using that) but when that broke the RumblePad came out again.