Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desk Organizer

Default Desk Organizer

Here’s a project from concept to finish… My customer sent me a photo and said “something like this” I did a model in SketchUp and got approval. Importing the vectors into V-Carve Pro from SketchUp went flawlessly!

I had planned on making the project from ¼” sheet goods but couldn’t make myself do it… I re-sawed some 8/4 white Oak to 5/16”.

I don’t know if my construction method would be called modified Box-joints, Mortise and tenon, slot and tab or a combination of all three! If I build this again, I’ll watch the tabs that run with the grain… Two broke off during assembly, it wouldn’t have been an issue with the sheet goods I had originally planned to use.

Assembly was tricky it had to be done in the right sequence! I kept trying to mess up but sanity prevailed!
    The organizer is assembled, sanded and sealed… now to paint it black…

In retrospect… If I were to make it again, especially if in quantity, I’d use dados, rebates, and staples.
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done Steve!!!

You are going to paint 1/4 W/O black?

Blasphemy I say (kidding).

Kinda like when I had a customer have me make a TV credenza from mahogany and then finish it with black lacquer . Bummer...
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

It looks great Steve! Thanks for posting all of the pictures it helps rookies like myself see the process in using the ShopBot to build things.

OK, I'll bite what's a 'rebates'? If it ain't a choo choo I'm lost! Russ

OK, Google showed me, a rabbit, got it! Thanks for the exploded view that helps a lot! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Not rabbit… rebate. It sounds like rabbit and is often incorrectly spelled that way. Another word often misused is “dado” it’s often used for grooves both with and across the grain. Technically it’s only those that go across the grain. A rebate is a two sided dado…
    https://www.google.com/search?q=rebate+joint&safe=off&biw=1280&bih=888&tb m=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OVgkVKuhA8ehyATc5 oLIBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ
    My old teacher training showing…
    SG

Cool

Interesting - never heard of "rebate joint" being the correct spelling for "rabbet joint". (for sure the spelling is not "rabbit"...that's the animal, of course)

I'm still doubting that "rebate" spelling.

EDIT: Found this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebate
    Wikipedia says, "rebate" can be used instead of "rabbet", so it must be true! ...but, I'm still going to use "rabbet".

My schooling is nearly 50 years old… English is a dynamic language, things change! I’ll accept rabbet as a correct spelling.
    SG

Verified - each version is correct. Something I did not know, so thank you for giving my brain a new wrinkle today!

This reminds me of the word "lithophane" (with 'ph' having the 'f' sound when pronounced). Most people say it and spell it as "lithopane" (they omit the "h" and pronounce a hard 'p' sound instead of 'f' sound). This is incorrect. But, the incorrect spelling and pronunciation is so commonly used now, it won't surprise me a bit that it becomes 'correct' also.

I won't even mention the folks that say "lithograph" when they mean "lithophane". Oops, I guess I did.

Oh, I forgot to say earlier, GREAT project!!

Like Don said, First I read and then saw the black picture and then thought "OH NO Steve, You didn't!" Whew
    Interesting debate on rebate.
    Now I'll have to learn SketchUp, Methinks.
    Nice job Steve
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

You say potato, i say po ta toe..
    you say tomato i say to ma toe...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson