Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta Camp Shopbot - August 2002

Default Atlanta Camp Shopbot - August 2002

Announcing the next Camp Shopbot:

All shopbotters are invited to our shop for an informal day of Shopbotting - demonstrations, show-and-tell, shop-talk, refreshments and maybe a few tall tales!

We have decided to host this event in conjunction with the IWF, the largest trade show for woodworking machinery and suppliers in North America, held bi-annually in Atlanta. Shopbot will have a both at the show, and they have hinted that some of them may attend our get-together as well. If you are unfamiliar with the IWF, check out the IWF home page

As for the exact day, we have some thoughts, but wanted to get some feedback so as to include as many folks as possible. The IWF will be on Thursday August 22, 2002 through Sunday August 25, 2002. We could conceivably hold our shin-dig on Wednesday, August 21, or during the IWF on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. We suspect that most folks will want to head home by Sunday, but if we are wrong let us know. I hope by next weekend we will have enough input to set a date, so that people can make their plans.

We envision this to be a mini-version of the recent jamboree, in keeping with Bill Palumbo's vision of regional camps, to help create a local support group of shopbotters united for the common good. We hope coinciding with the IWF will allow more folks to justify the trip to Atlanta, and of course we will not limit attendence to folks from the southeast. All we require is a desire to spend the day talking and learning about Shopbot the tool and what you and other folks are doing with it. Those seriously considering purchasing a Shopbot are welcome as well.

This will be a one-day event, as you (and we) will certainly want to spend significant time at the IWF as well. Shopbot has expressed excitment and a desire to support us with refreshments, door prizes, demonstration items, etc. and for that we are very grateful. We are looking forward to making some new friends and hopefully seeing some familiar faces as well.

Please let me know as soon as possible if you will be able to attend, and which day you think would work best. We are very open as well to suggestions for making the day as beneficial as possible. The best way to reach me is via e-mail at: beacon14@attbi.com

Y'all come!

David Buchsbaum and Ted McWilliams

David, is your shop actually IN Atlanta? If not, how far from the IWF Show are you? Thanks, Bill P.

Good question.
    We are not technically in Atlanta - we are located about 5 miles east of downtown in a town called Avondale Estates, just inside the "perimeter" which is what we call I-285. We are about a 20 minute drive from either the airport or downtown, which is where the IWF takes place.
    I will post directions at a later date, and e-mail them to all who respond
    David B.

eurocab@bellsouth.net Guest

Hey David,

John and I would love to attend your get together. Having bought a ShopBot around the first of the year, I am sure we could learn a lot from you. We are located in Doraville, just a few miles away across from the Doraville Marta Station. What is your address in Avondale?

Another thing that fellow ShopBotters should know is that Avondale is on the East-West Marta Rapid Rail Line, so it would be fairly easy to get to your shop from the World Congress Center.

Perhaps someone would be interested in providing transportation to and from the Avondale Station. Just a thought.

I am looking forward to it.

Rick

Rick and John,
    We are located very close to the Avondale Marta station. I'm sure we could arrange "shuttle service" for those without cars. Marta also serves the airport, so it would be fairly easy to attend the IWF and our camp without having to rent a car.
    I'll post exact directions, and e-mail them to all who reply, as we get a little closer to D-day
    David

Hi David,

Count me in. I was on the fence about attending the IWF this year...you've helped me make up my mind.

For those of you that haven't been to the Atlanta Show before, it's really amazing. Every woodworking tool, machinery, and hardware vendor that you've ever heard of is there, and lots that you haven't heard of. It's a great place to find out about new products and to see a whole lot of woodworking stuff in one place.

See you there,
    Bill Young

Ok, after sifting through hundreds of responses (not exactly), we have decided to schedule the camp for Saturday, August 24. (The IWF runs from Thursday through Sunday.) I hope this will allow the largest number of people to attend.
    As for specifics, we will fine tune as the date approaches, but essentially what we do with our machine is one-of-a-kind parts (pattern cutting) and short production runs. We will have demonstrations and samples of parts we have cut, jigs we used for holding them, methods of creating these parts and jigs, etc. We also hope that those attending will bring examples of what they have done as well.
    I will post more details as they develop. Please post any responses or questions here, and feel free to e-mail me as well.

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

Hi David,
    My name is Frank Harris, i am in warner robins, ga. and will be attending the camp along with my partner and brother, we just purchased a 5x12x12", with dual Z's and its being delivered tomorrow, dont know if i will have any samples to bring with me, other than a few blisters, am in the process of assembling the steel table for the Bot, but i will be all eyes and ears, and willing to share anything i can, thanks.

garlicking@charter.net Guest

Frank,
    Are you excited about getting your new bot?
    I know the feeling. Anyhow, enjoy it.
    keith

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

Hi Keith,
    Very much so Keith, i've wanted this thing since i first seen it in ToolCrib of the North magazine, now i was able or lucky enuf to get 1 with all the upgrades, with all the additional expense, i've completely re-done my garage/shop, insulated the walls, ceiling, new wiring, even added a/c and an exhaust fan to help pull the dust out. It is being delivered here today by noon, and i'm still assembling the steel table,,,i sure wish there was 2 more of me,,,where you located Keith, i take it you have a Bot also, next step after all this assembly work is to join Ron's server,,,you gonna be in atlanta for the Bot camp? Its like Xmas here, lovin it,,,,later,,,,frank