Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atlanta Camp Shopbot - August 2002

Hey David, Count me in! I'll be at your shindig, too. I live here in Anderson, SC. I own a 4x10 shopbot.

OK, here's the latest:

Plan to arrive between 8:30 and 9:00 AM on the 24th. We will handle registration and have coffee and donuts during that time. We will have a car to shuttle folks from the Avondale MARTA station beginning at 8:15AM. Look for an older gentleman in a green Honda Accord. He can take 4 people at a time. If you arrive later or need any help, call 404-297-0002 or 404-309-9146.

Beginning at 9AM, we will have introductions, then I will have a short demo on using limit switches and contact plates for setting tool location, and the program files we use for these purposes. At mid-morning, Ted McWilliams will cover hold-down techniques. We expect that each of these demos will evolve into general discussion sessions, with lots of questions and answers.

Lunch will be pizza and cold drinks, and during and after lunch there will be time to share your samples, projects, pictures, etc. Please bring whatever you may have, even if you don't think it's good enough to show.

After lunch and show & tell, will be somewhat free-form. Bill Young will demo the bar-code wand for tracing patterns. We will have an additional computer set up for showing PartWizard, and answering general ShopBot Workshop software questions. If there is enough interest, we will have a session where new or future owners can ask specific questions about creating part files relevent to their own needs.

We are not setting an ending time, so we can play that by ear; as long as there are interested ShopBotters around we can keep going. We will have directions to a few local restaurants so that anyone who wants to can continue over dinner.

ShopBot has provided some nice door prizes and is also picking up the cost of refreshments and lunch.

Each person who has responded should have received an e-mail from me, with some other specifics. We have plenty of room, so we will not "close" the registration period. If you can make it at the last minute, call and let me know so we will have enough food.

Looking forward to a great day,
    David Buchsbaum

New Jersey Camp Shopbot III.....
    In answer to a bunch of questions kicked off by the Atlanta Camp, YES there will be a third annual shop cleaning/Camp Shopbot in Toms River. N.J. on Oct. 26th, 2002,(more or less...).
    This gives some of you a few weeks between the Mid-West Camp and here..( Remember you really don't have to attend ALL of these once we get the regional things going..)
    Topics to be announced once they are suggested/decided on.....Open invitation to all who have been here before, and those that would like to join us..Structure is limited, schedule is loose, information is plentiful.....

FEEDBACK/PHOTOS FROM ATLANTA CAMP;
    I just got a phone call from Bill Young who said the Atlanta Camp went very well!!! He got home to find that his internet connection is unable to connect with the outside world, so for the next day or two he will be offline...BUT if you have any digital pix of the Atlanta event he's asking that you please send them to- Martha @shopbottools.com
    P.S. Congratulations to David/Ted for doing such a great job...

rytjr@bellsouth.net Guest

Thanks David and Ted! Nice shop, good pizza, cold Cokes and ShopBot tricks I would never have thought of. I am always amazed by the creativity of the people that own ShopBots...These camps are place to see it.

A belated Atlanta camp report:

The Atlanta Camp last weekend at David Buchsbaum and Ted McWilliams' shop was a great time, with 35 or so ShopBotters attending and plenty to see and do. Ted started it off by showing some of the vacuum jigs that they use in their work, and also discussed some of the other material holding methods that they use. After that David demonstrated their shop-built limit switches and talked about the programming involved in using them... a very good introduction to using the ShopBot programming language.

After lunch there was a show-and-tell session with some very neat projects and Ted and David talked about the project that they initially bought their ShopBot for. Next Ted Hall demoed some of the features of the new version 3 Windows software and also showed an early version of the Project Wizard, a new project creation method that we're working on (more info on both of these soon). Next David showed folks how to use the Part Wizard software and then some time to just talk and ask questions before everyone headed out.

Many thanks to David and Ted for opening up their shop for the Camp and also for doing a great job of setting things up. It was a lot of fun for all that attended, everyone learned a bunch of new tricks, and we all appreciate the great job that they did.

Bill

c1get1@hotmail.com Guest

My "Thank You" is also belated, my eyes are still open to all the things i'd seen and ideas i heard. David and Ted, you have a great facility, and also a big "Thank You" to Shopbot for all the goodies, that pizza was good, yum. Seems the Part Wizard Demo you guys passed out was the full version, only thing we need now is for them to pass out the key code so it will work, lol. David, tell Ted the next time he comes to Warner Robins to race his Miata, to stop by, you also, i'm sure we will be seeing you guys again, unless this 5x12 steel table i'm assembling beats me up first, what a hog. Thanks again------Frank Harris

dianne@shopbottoolscom Guest

If you want a copy of the Part Wizard demo, send your mailing address to Dianne at ShopBot. It'll help if you put "Part Wizard Demo Request" as subject of email.