Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Camp Shopbot

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

Hey, the more eclectic, the better! Looking forward to meeting new friends and contacts in the business.

sico.systems@verizon.net Guest

Bill,
    I would be interested in the Camp. I'm potential new convert and want to use the bot for sheet metal (14 -16 gauge ) drilling, tapping & milling.
    Can I use the Camp to try sampling my type of work?

Gary, It sounds good to me, BUT I have NO experience in doing metal work with the 'Bot so we'd have to find someone attending who could show us all how to deal with feed speeds, etc. I know that there are people out there using their machines for this kind of work, but I'm not one of them..
    Is there anyone out there who is planning on coming to the Camp who would be able to give us a hand on this one?
    OR is there anyone who can at least give us some guidelines as to how to go about this kind of work? Any info would probably benefit a bunch of people, Thanks..

superiorsignshop@yahoo.com Guest

Gary: I have tried unsuccessfully to cut metal with the shopbot. The same old bugaboo of clamping, holding, etc. really gives you some problems. We typically cut aluminlum panels, (.040, .050. .063) with our shopbot, but we are not totally pleased with the results. If you had Gerbers vacuum system, or the new shopbot system, I feel certain you could get the job done. The equipment is certainly capable of the cut and accuracy needed. I have used various bits, Belen, Onsrud, Jesada, and el cheapo's, and prefer the Belen, although maginally. The bit has a very agressive "hook" on the end, and seems to really cut cleanly, with a minimum of ragged edges on the bottom. Have not tried the spiral up/down cut bits yet, but I will. Cut speeds seem to vary with different thicknesses more than I thought they might. I have not tried to cut sheet metal, only aluminum. Even aluminum is very hard on bits, even solid carbide ones. Come on up to Bill place, I will bring some bits with me, and we will play a bit. I promise you a great time! Let me know what you think. Doug

chris@shopbottools.com Guest

Hi Brady, I'd just like to clarify the current plasma decision. We are holding off shipping plasma systems until Feb.1 2003. The reason did not have to do with safety issues but rather it is to harden the tool for heavier industrial use. It seems that most of the current tools cutting steel are going into settings beyond the average shop and I believe we can compete with tools 5 times the price by adding some features that will benefit all ShopBotters. We are also switching over to using PartWizard for designs and working out the documentation for tutorials.

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

Chris,
    Sounds great. I would imagine that some of the software revisions would entail kerf compensation? You'll never hear me complain about upgrading a tool or making it stronger. I just hope that it is really February and not March-April...

Dear Doug!
    Thank You for your respond. I definitely will attend and hopefully try SB with my material . Looking forward to meet with you guys !

Gary, I've tried to send you an e-mail but the address you have listed here isn't letting me do so.
    I am hoping to get some more feedback regarding metal cutting BEFORE the day of the Camp.
    As I have seen during the last two years things get very hectic when there are 40-50 people wandering
    around the shop on that day. I probably would NOT just "wing it' and try to cut metal with a group of
    people standing around the machine as the potential liability is staggering...If it turns out that we do not
    have any first hand experience to guide us I would say this is an experiment that would best be done at
    another time when there are less logistical problems. One person contacted me and suggested that he
    thought you needed very slow router speeds to cut metal. He was speaking in the range of 1,000 rpm
    which is way below the capability of my Porter Cable 3-1/4 HP that has a "slow" speed of 10,000 rpm.
    I'm still hoping to hear from others who can give us good information, but I wanted you to be aware of
    this in advance so you don't make the drive for something which might not happen...Let's keep an eye
    on the Forum and hope we get some help on this...Regards, Bill

How to get to the Camp...
    Driving directions to the New Jersey Camp
    From the South;
    If you are taking the ferry over from Lewes, De. To Cape May, N.J. just get on the
    Garden State Parkway, and head North to exit 82A. . This will put you on Route #
    37 West. Follow that for about 4 miles until you come to "Northampton Blvd.". Do
    NOT turn here, instead go past Northampton, and as you do you will see a Getty
    gas station on your left hand side, and just past that a small industrial park. I am
    IN that park, but you can't get there ( divided highway), unless you go to the next
    intersection which is 'Commonwealth Blvd." , and make a U-turn..Do so, then as
    you now head back east on route # 37 you'll see the entrance to the park ½ mile
    down the road. In the park is a building with a large sign saying 'Carpet' on the
    front. I am in the rear of the building, at Bay Craft Designs..
    If you are coming North on Interstate # 95 ; take I-295 into New Jersey . Take it
    North until you reach route # 70 ( approx. 35 miles..).Go east on route # 70 until
    you reach the outskirts of Lakehurst, and connect with route # 37. Follow the
    signs Eastbound toward Seaside Heights. I am about 4 miles East on route # 37.
    You will pass the Super 8 motel at "Commonwealth Blvd.", and go ½ mile until you
    reach a small industrial park. The Getty gas station you will see is PAST the park,
    turn in before you reach it. Then when in the park follow the instructions above..
    From the North;
    You can take the New Jersey Turnpike to exit 11 and then get on the Garden State Parkway. Go South until you reach exit 82A and follow the instructions from the above
    Paragraphs.
    From the West;
    Cross into N.J., and if coming through Philadelphia connect with route # 70. Then
    follow instructions from the above paragraphs.
    If coming from the Northwest you can take I-78,I-80, or I-195 across the state to
    the Parkway, then follow instructions from the North.

Actual street address is; 1745 Route # 37 West
    Shop phone # is 732-286-2700

As usual I would ask that if anyone has easier directions, please pass them along. Also if you need more specific directions from any point of origin, send me an e-mail..

Camp Update..

I just got back from the 2002 Artcam User's group meeting, and learned a few things about their new and upcoming versions ( First quarter of next year..). We'll try to incorporate some of that into the 3D sessions at the Camp.
    The event was held at the Johnson Atelier, in Mercerville, N.J. In addition to being a pretty remarkable place for anyone interested in sculpture of all kinds, they have a "digital sculpture" department where they use laser scanners and a number of CNC machines to teach, and do contract cutting. Their largest machine can handle a 20 ton block of stone that is ten feet wide, ten feet long, and five feet thick in 5 axes………!
    ( And you thought a sheet of MDF was a bear to sling onto your table top..)
    I'm still getting e-mails from people who are finalizing plans to be here, and I have NO idea of a head count at this point. Please get back to me ( if you have not already done so) if you plan on being here. We've been given "door prizes' from Shopbot and Delcam, and we hope to have some literature to distribute as well. Bring business cards and digital cameras to help you retain names, techniques for when you get back home.
    If you are driving to the Camp and have room in your vehicle please try to bring something you have made on your 'Bot for "show and tell". We all learn new tricks when we see what other people are doing with theirs.