Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Camp

Default Oklahoma Camp

Springtime in Oklahoma..conjurs up visions of beautiful spring weather, green fields and Camp Shopbot, Oklahoma Style.
    I apologize for such a late posting of camp activities and such, but I have been with my Mom during a continuing six week stay at an Oklahoma City Hospital. Needless to say, my so called schedule has been shot. So, I shall try to bring everything up to speed here and now.
    We are breaking new ground again this year, with our camp entitled "3D and Me". We are targeting the new projects using 3D to produce. To do this, we are blessed with the presence of one of today's leading authority on 3D, Mr. James Booth, of Carve 3D and Vector Art 3D fame. James will lead us through the maze of information regarding 3D, and show us how to use it to produce even better jobs, and secure better wages for it. We will cut some simple files, and let James do the rest.
    In addition, Tony McKenzie, of Vectric.com is giving a free copy of PhotoVCarve, their newest sofware offering. We will be doing a demo of the software also, along with VCarve Wizard, their other great software. And, even more, they are offering discounts off VCarve Wizard if you wish to purchase it. I have already ordered it.
    To closely tie all this together, we are offering another ShopBot Camp first: we are having a class on mold making. Al Brewer, The Reynolds Company, Dallas, TX. will be here to show us all we want to know about mold making,and casting. We will make molds, and do some casting during the class. All products and information will be featuring Smooth On, the industry leader. For those whom have not seen this done, be prepared to be shocked: It is incredibly EASY. Even I understood it the first time. Needless to say, most masters are made using 3D text and imagery, so this is a natual match. Plan to come on Friday, as Al can only be here on Friday morning, starting at 8:30 sharp. He is one of the best teachers I have met, and has an incredible grasp on all the products.
    My buddy Bill Palumbo will be with us, and do what he does best: talk about SB stuff. He will teach, confide, and discuss almost anything, from the software to the hardware of 'Botting. He is truly a great resource for Ted and all the gang at Durham.
    Joe Crumley will again mesmerize us with his huge knowledge of sign making. Joe is a long time very active member of Letterheads, an international organization of sign artists. He will instruct us about any phase of signs: layout, colors, composition and balance. Joe is a former fine arts teacher at several Universities in the US, and loves to share with us. This has been one of the highlights of the last two camps, one you want to experience.
    Finally, there will be show and tell, gold leafing, glass blasting/etching, and numerous other projects throughout the day. We will have on hand some of the countries best software guru's, so we can handle almost any question that arises regarding software usage.
    Everybody needs a "Crazy Aussie" for a buddy, and we have one. Gary Beckwith comes down from Wichita KS and shares his philosophy of "making a buck (or several) with the ShopBot. His camp last fall was one of the most talked about all year. He really does some outstanding work and is recognized for it. He does a lot of 2.5D and 3D on wooden projects, such and doors, cabinets, etc. It is truly beautiful work.
    O K....nuff said.
    Coffe, donuts and such: 7:30 sharp, Friday and Saturday. Mix and match with campers until 8:15, classes start at 8:30 sharp. Classes will feature a Q & A period at the end, show and tell will be mixe in throughout the classes. Only class time "cast in stone" is Al Brewer, due to a very heavy work load, covering all of Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana selling Smooth On Products.
    Let me know what you want to see/show, and we will try to make it happen.
    I will post motel info, driving directons, etc. hopefully tomorrow. Just for quickies, we are at 930 Lonnie Abbott, in Ada, OK. Mapquest has us pegged right on.
    Feel free to contact me for questions or thoughts. Don't hesitate to email me, or call my office at 580 436-1010. I may be out of pocket, but I will get back with you.
    One last time: let me know what you want.....I need the input from you. Bill and all the guys can bring more to a camp than anyone can imagine, including speakers mounted in a foam whale ! Really........
    More later
    Doug Strickland
    P.S.::I really am sorry about such a late posting

Doug,
    Sounds like an excellent camp. The NWA group plans to attend. Looking forward to it!

In case some people have not found the "upcoming Camp Shopbot"section on the web page, the Oklahoma Camp will be held on Fri/Sat, March 17/18th.....

Just a brief note pertaiing to motel accomodations: I just spoke with the MicroTel Inn, just across the street, regarding room availability. I sort of "reserved" about 10 rooms for campers.
    They would not hold them however, without a definite confirmation. If you are wanting to stay there, I would suggest you call them ASAP, and make your reservations. Their rates are like $54.00/night, double. Bill, James, Gary and I are all staying there. It is only three years old, and spotless.
    Just a little heads up. The other best options are the Quality Inn, and Best Western. Phone numbers are below.
    In the event my earlier posting gave the impression this is "only" a 3D camp, NOT SO.
    We will do all the usual camp things, just trying to find more ways to "make a buck (or two)" with our 'bots.
    Here are the phone numbers, no particular order.
    MicroTel: 580 436-9900; Quality Inn: 580 332-9000; Best Western (Raintree Inn): 580 332-6262
    They have agreed to corporate rates, but ONLY if 10 or more rooms are rented. Yeah, they are geally getting independent. But, that's OK, next year we will have a new motel here, I believe a Holiday Inn Express.
    Please let me know if you are coming, and make your reservations as soon as you can. I really need some input on numbers, for food, etc.
    Less than for weeks, and counting.
    Doug

Howdy Campers,

I'm getting psyched-up again over the Ada Camp. We had such a good time last year, and made some good friends too.

Please help me figure out what topics you want to cover! It would make our camp even more productive and fun if I demo real, applicable topics of interest. Also it would keep me from looking like a complete total fool.

Please look over the following list and contact Doug or me and let us know. Feel free to add a topic.

Texturing with Sculpt Noveau
    Beveled Letters & Type Choices
    How I design & decorate Panels on the computer.
    Layout Design
    Surface Gilding 23K
    Woodgraining (Extension of Last Years Program)
    ----------------------------

I've received E-mails from Campers who will be coming long distances, expectiing me to cover a couple of topics. To keep anyone from being disapointed, I would appreciate your input. Once I figure it all out, I'll have Doug make it official.

Also keep in mind, since this is a free flowing event anything can happen. We can go off on a router tangent in un-explored area's at any time. If you have a specific topic you need help with, someone will be glad to investigate it with you. We may go into the late evening. Probably will. They can't kick us out, cause were them.

Joe

PS: I've just re-read my post and realize it's just about me,me,me,me, a little about Doug, but really, it's me,me,me,me,me,etc, me.. You get the idea. Nothing at all about Bill P. or G.Beckwith or our host. Just me. Sorry

Joe,
    "If you've got it, flaunt it !". Your enthusiasm, and willingness to share your skills with the rest of us is one of the reasons we hold Camps such as this one. Looking forward to your sessions....Bill P.

Joe, They all sound good to me! Not sure I can choose only a couple - can we extend the camp to a week? :-) I would be interested in how you do layout design. Enjoyed the gold work and wood graining you showed in past - so basically anything we have time for would be great!

I learned a lot from the step by step you did recently. I'd love to have the process you use to make a sign documented for us novices with a list of materials/finishes/masks you prefer, sources for them etc.

Thanks Ken,

I'm getting ready to start a much smaller project for a Garden Nursery and will probably do a step by step on it. That should be rather simple. But am sure someone will learn something. I allways learn from other botters even on the simmplest work.

I've sure learned a lot from Dennis Sapp with his computer knowledge. For me the router and computer are pretty much an extension of the pencil. And I haven't spend much time learning about pencils. It's just a way to get what I have in my head on some kind of substrate. Another one of my short comming is not spending enough time learning router software. It's like sharpening a chisels. I'm wanting to start carving not grinding the metal away.

I look forward to talking to you, and answering question about materials, techniques, layouts, & comps.

Please make a list and bring it with you. I'll take the time and explain what I know.

Ada has good Donut! Thought I'd throw that in just in case there is someone out there, teetring, on wheather to come.

I think the heavy hitters, Bill P, & Doug are open to letting us extend the days as long as needed. Perhaps next year we could think about a group project. We could build it together, after hours, in pieces, and assemble as each piece is completed. That would be fun. Some folks routing, others sanding and carving, others gilding and texturing. Once we choose the theme, and the art is compelted, I'm sure we could get it all assembled in two hard days. I can see a group picture now.

Someone lean on Doug to let us do it next year.

J

Boy, have I been put on the spot now. And I thot' Joe was my friend. Just goes to show you......
    I am open to most anything for the camp and there are NO set hours. I normally work about 12 hours daily anyway, so why change now. We can do anything your little ol' hearts desire after the classes are over, so come prepared. As I stated earlier, I want to soak up as much knowledge as my little sponge (called brain) can handle. Joe has more to offer than he realizes. So, as he stated, just let us know.
    Ken,and NW AR guys: bring all your questions and request, and we'll see what we can do to help. As long as Joe, Bill, James and Gary can stand it, so can I. BTW, I have dinner reservations at 6:30 on Friday at Doc's (translate Oklahoma's best BBQ) for about 20, so come prepared to eat hearty.
    Again, let me know: what you want to do, and who is coming, how many, etc.
    Less than two weeks and sliding downhill on a 'nanner peel.
    Doug

Joe,

I'd like to see some things on texturing with Sculpt Noveau and panel design.

Gary N.