Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah Camp!

Default Utah Camp!

OK, we are set for Saturday, May 13th! The camp will be held at Summit Graphic and DeSign in Orem for everyone in the greater Utah and surrounding area.
    Address to the shop is: 399 W. 1200 N. Suite E. Orem, UT 84057
    Shop is on the main drag and easy to find. We've got plenty of space for attendees.
    Phone is 801-426-6533, ask for Matt.
    Schedule for the day is not finallized yet, but will be posted as it is firmed up. I do know that we will start @ 8am and go all day.
    Bill Palumbo from ShopBot will be there and demo Part Wizard, vac pumps and probably some cuts, and we've got a few other people who may do some demos.
    We will probably do some 3d cutting and file set-up demos also. Anyone who wants to show how they use their 'bot, please contact me.

Lodging info for those of you that will be coming from out of town:
    Fairfield Inn, 427 W. 1250 S. Orem 801-431-0405
    Hampton Inn, 851 W. 1250 S. Orem 801-426-8500
    La Quinta, 1100 W. 780 N. Orem 801-235-9555
    Super 8 Motel, 125 S. 850 E. Lehi 801-766-8800

Please RSVP (so we can have enough food and materials on hand) to Matt by calling or email
    matt@summitgdc.com
    Also, any one that is interested in helping or presenting a topic or demo, let me know. And if anyone has any suggestions for content for the day let me know. I think will probably have a show and tell for everyone to show what they use their 'bot for also. And, I'm thinking we could possibly have our own version of the "Speaker Contest" if anyone is interested.
    Hope to see you all there. Later

Matt,

Count me in and let me know what I can do to help.

Matt,
    You and I have already talked, but just to reiterate, count me in. I'll be glad to help, just let me know what I can do.
    Since you mostly use Enroute, I would be happy to do a demo using Part Wizard, or V-Carve Wizard. I can bring the sign pictured below, and show how it was created in Part Wizard, using different shaped bits. Just a suggestion.

Later,
    Matt
    12378.jpg
    12379.jpg

Matt,
    you're on. man, that looks incredible!
    I wish I had as much time to as you. lol
    now, let's see that thing painted, leafed and some spalts!

Later

Matt,

I allready mad, cause I won't be there to see how you did that sign.

Would a tool changer help?

Joe

Matt,

That is AWESOME. Love to hear more about how you created that sign.

Jay

Thanks for the kind words. Always nice to get props from your peers.
    Yes, a tool changer would have helped, greatly! I think I had over 10 bit changes.
    Since I will be using this piece as a presentation for the Utah camp, I will make up some sort of PDF handout for that camp, with all the details, bit info, screen shots, and pictures. When I get this made up, I will gladly distribute it to those who would like a copy.

-Matt

Matt, Awesome sign. I'd love to see a copy of your pdf when ready.

Hi Matt
    As a host for a camp, I like the idea of the PDF handout. This will certainly encourage ALL of us to strive for new heights, and give us the ladder to climb!
    Please include me on your list. This is the sort of thing we are doing more and more, and as we all know, information is power.
    Very nice work. Keep it up.
    P.S.: If it not too personal, how about a hint as to pricing,i.e., price per square foot, etc.
    This is another area sadly lacking throughout the sign industry, the ability to be paid what a job is really worth.

Doug

Doug,
    Yep, I think it would be great to have a 'library' of such knowledge and documents. The PDF works well, because it can be e-mailed to anybody who is not able to attend a given camp.

Pricing. HeHe. I only laugh, because I was never paid for this job - at least not in money anyway. This job was done in trade with the guy who creates and maintains my website. He paid for the Extira, and provided the vectorized art. He also painted it after I was done with it. Unfortunately, he hasn't given me any pictures of the finished product yet. But, he has agreed to let me take it to the camp.

The sign is almost 8ft wide, and about 40 in. tall. I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 sq feet. Cutting time was the better part of an 8 hr day (factoring in bit changes and all). The programming and messing around with the clip art probably took me about 4 hours.

Because I didn't have to do the finishing, I would just charge shop rate X hours(program & cut). This would end up being approx $800. If you take that figure and divide by 25 sq ft, it comes out to be about $32/sq ft - which is about half of $75/sq ft that I've seen thrown around for finished carved signs.

Hope that helps.

-Matt R.