Thread: Utilizing scrap

Default Utilizing scrap

Had to make something with a garlic theme for a show we are applying to. I make cutting boards from scrap when the pile gets high usually they are glued up strips with an inlay but time was an issue so a whole piece of quartersawn sapele was used for the boards.

Beautiful stuff Brian. I think i would be surprised if it was even mediocre...nice finish on it!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Sweet Brian!!
    Regular inlay function or VInlay? Inlay looks so tight it's hard to tell
    Were depressions done as a 3D function or large radius bits and pockets?
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott regular inlay cut on the boards, The maple bowl was done with a 3d toolpath with a 2" cove bit the round sapele one was a pocketing toolpath with the same bit. Good to find use for scrap I am a hoarder of wood I have a really hard time tossing a nice piece of scrap but logically know it can cost me more in usable space keeping it.

Thanks Brian,
    What was offset to get that tight(still haven't done regular inlay with machine,but may try for this anchor file today (after changing to .0625"down)).
    Ah...2"
    Yep Scraps still BARELY under control, BUT only because I'm so small-time! It's gotten worse though since I discovered inlay
    Imagine "Domes" are large roundovers and then cutout/Forstnered? Or do you flip them?
    Imagine they'll sell fast!
    Your finish for food safes?
    Thanks for answers, BUT you're supposed to say "SCOTT ---DO IT YOURSELF!!!"
    Have a good show!
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

OH, Thanks for inspiration to get me off my B*** and try it Brian!!!
    scott P.
    Maine

Brian
    Nice work
    After you do your inlays are you putting them through a drum sander, like a performax, or a big wide belt? Im trying to decide if a performax type sander makes sense or not.
    I did some and put them through a small planer, sometimes it worked fine, and sometimes it got too exciting to try again. Flying small pieces!
    I also tried using the bot, but anything but smooth grained wood had too much tear out when I used a 1 1/2" bit. A 1/2" was ok but slow.
    thanks

Scott I am using is rams cam, the software is ten years old nothing like the vectric software most of you guys use, I use a O flute upcut 1/8 bit to pocket, and cut the inlay, I do a scrap inlay then adjust my bit parameters to make it tighter or looser.

Vectric will be on the list someday but I like what I have, it does v carve and 3d just cant edit or make anything in the program all vector files have to be perfect before I import.

The crusher domes were cut with a 3/4 roundover bit it was the bearing type so I removed the bearing cut a pocket around the masher head with a 1/2 bit then popped in the roundover to do its thing, left enough to bandsaw the masher heads apart put a 1/4 roundover in the other side on the router table. If I decide these are worth making I will get a bit that does it in one shot.

Bob I have been running them though the planer I have a small delta 12 inch it has polyurethane rollers that will pull the piece through with the blades just touching, my 20 inch planer makes a mess out of them.

I have had some experience with the performax sander and a lot with wide belt I would not get one a wide belt does a much better job without the paper loading up.

Thanks again Brian!
    Yep, Vectric spoiled me
    I'd be luck to be able to cut a square without it
    scott P.
    Maine