Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Connection with Tool Lost

aaronl Guest

Default Connection with Tool Lost

Hello from New Zealand I am having problems with my ShopBot when it is going to cut a file are about 5-10 secs it comes up with a message like
    this "Communication with Tool Lost" can anyone help me with this problem. All feedback would be a great help.
    Many Thanks Aaron Lambie.

seaside Guest

Aaron,

Don't know if this is it or not, but I've heard of folks having communication trouble when they use a newer version of the software with an older version of the control box firmware. If you're using one of the newest versions of the software you should be using the firmware that came in the download; load 21 if you're using version 205 or 220.

To find out which firmware version you're using, type UD then look for the number after "CB ver".

Hope this helps,

Bill Young

Bob Neitzke 360-795-3621, 275 Columbia St Cathlamet WA 98612

Although I've been cuttng OK I have had a
    certain "hesitation" when doing the X-Y zeroing.
    The X would go-to-stop OK but the Y would ...
    go a little , stop, go a little, stop then
    go-to-stop eventually. ???

I thought this was wierd but since cutting was OK
    I just ignored it.
    I WILL certainly head out to the shop and try the newer "load" immediately.

Thanks for "reading the instructions" FOR US :-)

Bob Neitzke 360-795-3621, 275 Columbia St Cathlamet WA 98612

OK ...
    I did the load21.exe and experienced NO hesitations
    as I explained before ...
    so I guess THAT was my problem.

Hope your fix is as easy, Aaron :-)

cabinetspecialties@hotmail.com Guest

Anyone here know about a website/forum for owners of Digital Tools CNC machines?

tinojr Guest

I am having problems with the ff:
    1.Z axis, is not accurate. ( having problems with the depth in cutting.
    2.theres no ground with my bosh router. for zeroing. the Z
    3 the output of my file to the router is always flip to the other side( mirror)( using Vector cam)

tinojr
    Have no idea what command ff: is. Perhaps you could elaborate.
    If your z axis is not accurate check that you have the right numbers for your z pinion.

You don't ground the router, you ground the table and the control box.

When you cut and paste in vector make sure you have not left the mirror x or y box checked. As a matter of fact get in the habit of clicking reset when you are pasteing. If your problem still exists email me with more detail and perhaps the file and I'll try to help.

John Forney

tinojr Guest

John
    I set the units in inches, but the actual movement for the Z axis is in mm. ( theres no prolem with the X and Y just The Z).

I could not establish zeroing the material using the aluinum plate( attached plate with wire to the computer.) before cutting the material.

Is there something ( step)I miss before cutting a file?

tinojr
    If you have set your machine in inches (vd) and it is moving in mm, I think you need to call shopbot directly.
    Are you using s_zero.sbp in shopbot parts? Do you have the wire connected to input #1. And last have you tried to move you z in inches and measured it to see that it is moving the correct distance?

Also you might consider calling me at 419 947-8186 if you are still having problems. By the way what is your name?

John Forney

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools Guest

Hi Tinojr,

The Z-zero plate may not be working for you if your router has a plastic body and is not making electrical contact with the tool. The aluminum-body Bosch that we have seems to work OK, but I know they make other models with plastic bodies which might not. [I'm assuming that your tool and control box are both properly connected to your system ground, e.g. conduit...]

To get around the problem with a plastic router, you'll need to simply temporarily connect (ground) your collet or bit to the tool. If you make up a wire (say about 2 feet) that has an alligator clip on both ends, this will be easy to do. When you're ready to do the Z-zero just clip the bit with one alligator and clip the other to an exposed metal part on the tool. You can always test to make sure the Input switch sensing is working by picking up the Zero plate and touching it to the bit -- The input number (typically #1) should turn blue on the upper left panel in the ShopBot software.

On the more general issue of your Z movement distance ... Is: 1) the Z movment repeatable (always go the same distance when you ask it to) and just not going the correct distance; Or 2) the Z movement not repeating correctly ??

If 1) then we just need to get the right unit values for your Z. Make sure that you put the Unit Value in before switching to mm. If you can't find the documentation with the correct unit values, let us know and we can look up what the values are for your tool.

If 2) then there is likely to be some sort of mechanical problem (binding?) that is causing your Z axis to stall. We'll need to figure that out.