Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Dust Foot

Default Yet Another Dust Foot

Hey Guys..
    I know this has been beat to death, but here is a dust foot version with a bit of a twist. I installed a PVC "Collar" down into the pickup area to increase velocity in that area. It really seems to be an improvement over the OEM PRS foot. I also used 4" hose right to the foot instead of the 3" squeezed down on the OEM. I just ran a test with a .5 EM full width, full depth in 3/4" MDF at 4ips, over the edge of the table. This has been the weak spot in our dust collection in the past. Besides barely allowing any chips to escape, about half of the few that escape are sucked back into the foot 3-4" off the edge of the table from mid air. Now that I have the flow that I need, I am now making a scaled down version to use with bits shorter than 2" using all clear materials, including the tube.

27057.jpg
    27058.jpg
    Gary

Where did you get the materials to make your boot? Do you have anymore pictures or more description on how you made this? THe black looks like broom hairs? I don't see how you get from the bit cutting area to the "chamber"? Can you post more pics? Thanks!! good job

Thanks, Jack..
    the Lexan came from a local plastic shop. The broom is from McMaster. The rear fitting is a bandsawed piece from an ABS dust collection wye. Top & Bottom are 3/8" Lexan clear, side is 3/16 Lexan tinted and we dont like it. I just cut out the profile & a 3/16 by 1/4 rabbit on the top & bottom with the Bot. Cut the hole for the fitting on the bandsaw. Used a heat gun to bend the lexan around. Glued it all with devcon plastic welder. Ran a 1/4" round over bit around it. Used contact to install the broom.

27070.jpg
    27071.jpg

27072.jpg
    Gary

Gary
    1st, your not beating this subject to death. I think many us are pursuing a better "mouse trap" when it comes to dust collection.
    2nd, your design is interesting, I too would like to see more pictures.

Larry

It looks nice... I would be happy to Beta test it for you. :-)

Robert

just so i understand this, on the bottom you have 2 holes. 1 that your spindle fits thru and the outer one with the brush around it encapsulates the chamber from where the vacumn comes from. And you say that the suction is much better? What type of dust collection do you use? I have a 2hp, 4" hose dust collector and one of the things i find is with my longer bits without having the dust foot contacting the work i lose a lot of suction, you think this design would help?

27078.jpg

Gary,

Do you have the part number or page from the McMaster catalog from which you purchased the "broom"?

Bill

You can use a FrostKing door sweep available at any decent hardware store, Lowes or Depot.

-B

the only problem I see is can you raise the spindle up all of the way. it looks like the hose will hit first.

Jack..
    I havnt tested that yet, but I am sure to in the next couple weeks, I will let you know. I have some 6" bits I can try it with. I use a 1.5 HP Delta cannister dedicated to the Bot. Not sure if this would increase your suction, but it did mine. It seems to work best between 1/2" and 1" OFF the table.

Bill....
    McMaster page 1226 Pt# 7372T5 ($38.50 per 3')

Brady... you are right, but I am 50+ miles from a big box store and I hate to even go in them.

Steve...
    Nothing hits on the up side. The box will drag with 2 1/2" bits when cutting over 1" deep. I am working on a smaller version for those bits.

Gary