Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy t-slot table top?

MGM Television, Vancouver British Columbia

Default Where to buy t-slot table top?

Having a hard time locating a T-Slot table top clamping system, anybody know of any dealers in Canada?

here is a question maybe some one could respond to?
    what about t slot used in clothing stores to hold waterfall clothing racks? it comes in 4X8 mdf sheets.
    dale

rjguinn@optonline.net Guest

Boyd,
    Try Lee Valley Tools in Canada. www.leevalley.com
    Jeff

Could you make one easily with the shopbot? Curious if the t-slot bits work well. Maybe someone has made one around this forum??

Dale-
    I remember seeing the wood slatwall in another post a ways back. I have a lot of that stuff laying around, never thought to use it though. My guess is if you use it for cutting foam or ULMDF, it might work, but anything that requires a lot of clamping pressure, forget about it. After all, it is only MDF. They do sell metal inserts for the slots, which might actually make the idea much more feasible.

Boyd,
    Try rockler.com
    I buy aluminum T rails and hold down clamps from them. They work well for repetitive work. I use embedded nuts from the back to hold them in place, and remove them when they are not needed. Woodcraft.com also has some listed.

Kaiwa
    olecrafty@charter.net

Does anyone think this product is too small to use as a T slot on the ShopBot? It is made by Octanorm a supplier of Aluminium extrusions for shop fitting and trade show booths. I know where I can get this, just not sure if it would work.

3672.gif
    Dimensions are metric, and they come in 5 meter lengths. I believe a cutting service is offered. The part number is W 416. visit Octanorm USA for information on distributors or other extrusions.

Dick...

With a 1.0 mm wall thickness, it would appear suitable for only the most gentle of operations. It would be strengthened somewhat by gluing it into an exactly machined slot in a really stiff substrate; but I think you'd probably be happier with the heavier T-track offered in various woodworking catalogs.

Morris

Boyd...

What do you want to do with this clamping system? Intended use will have a lot to do with selecting a system. For example, I'm looking at cutting T-slots into 1" x 24" x 48" thick aluminum plates so that I can have a minimally solid base on which I can mill stainless steel.

Morris

Dick, I also think that T-track is okay for light work. The fact that it is designed for glueing in is a big plus, and you may even end up with better T-track than the stuff that is screwed down every 8" or so.

What is also nice is that it won't destroy the strength of a thick wooden table top when you dado grooves for it.

The thin wall aspect can be improved by using "long" nut sliders to carry over a bigger area.