Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Screw Holes

Default Pocket Screw Holes

Is there any way to cut the tapered (ramped) pocket screw holes using Vcarve Pro? I know I'd still need to finish up with a drill bit the size of the scew shaft (through the end) but just the routered area for the screw head would speed me up.

John,
    At the Florida keys Camp, Gary Campbell was working on that very same project....

excellent.. maybe Gary will have some insight here on the subject. With all the ramp settings, etc. in VCP I figured it would be possible.

I use pocket screws in my construction.

The slot is about 1.5" long and stops .75" + 1/2 bit diameter from the edge. I am using a 3/8" bit which fits the drill bit.

I draw the lines and from the flat to the pocket and tell the software to machine along vector at 0 depth.

I then save the toolpath and edit the end point of the paths. I change the z depth of the end point from 0 to -0.375.

There is still some manual labor involved but you don't have to mess with the jig.

Rodney

John...
    Bill is right... I wrote a small program that cuts ramped pocket holes, like you describe..I am still "beta testing" it cuz it has a few bugs when using it for face frames. IF you do Rodney's method above, use the following parameters, as they are very close to kreg or other mfg'ed machines. Bit..3/8, movement 1 1/8", depth change 0.44" end of movement is 3/4" + 1/2 bit diameter from panel edge. Bill Palumbo has a pic of some cut in scrap on the Camp ShopBot Site.
    Gary

Thanks Rodney and Gary. I have not tried any file editing yet. But that makes good logic. Sounds easy enough.

I was watching my bot Vcarve some letters today and was just noticing how it raises from depth cuts into corners of the intersecting vector lines. I wonder if there is a way to set the software to vcarve (thinking it is using a V bit) but actually install a 3/8" end mill that we need for the pocket screw pockets? Maybe I am silly.

John..
    Good idea! Play with a cone that is about 1.5" long, with one end half of a 3/8 circle and tapered to a point. Shouldnt take more than a couple tries to get it right. Toolpath selecting a 90 deg V bit and install a 3/8 EM.
    Gary

Very good! I never would have thought of the rounded end. I guess this has been discussed before, but I see a rounded end up to the width of the Vbit you tell it you have results in a plunge to that depth.

If I understand correctly Gary, something like this?...

27681.jpg

This resulted in a Vcarve preview....

27682.jpg

I can picture this doing the job with the 3/8 EM. Many thanks.

John..
    As I was reading another post.. the only downside will be that the bit may go down one side and then up the other but shouldnt be a problem. Did you get to a 52 degree V bit yet?
    Gary

I'll try this out and let you know... probably over the weekend.

I actually got a bunch of V's now. Thanks again. I have the 60 and 90 I started with and I've also bought 120, 140, 150, 160's to try also. Haven't chucked any of those in yet but i have been designing for them for a couple weeks now.. waiting for signed contracts to come back from customers.

~John