Thread: Help with Commands

Default Help with Commands

I'm getting ready to cut the holes for my table and building a few files. The commands below are the start of the file. I reviewed all the PDF's and may have missed some information. I need help with a portion of the CP command below, the latter part of it "I,,,,-0.2916667 , 3 ,,,4,1". I couldn't find anything on these letters and numbers. I would like to understand the commands before using them. Thanks.

VC,0.25 'Value for the cutter diameter
    SO, 1, 1 'Start Spindle
    JZ, 2 'Jog Z Spindle 2 inches above Z for travel
    J2, 2.74 , 1.14 'Jog X and Y to the respective coordinates
    MZ, 0 'Move Z Spindle to Zero before drilling
    CP, 0.375 , 2.74 , 1.14 ,I,,,,-0.2916667 , 3 ,,,4,1 '1st# is Diameter , 2nd# is X, 3rd# is Y, I,,,,-0.2916667 and , 3 ,,,4,1 is not knnown??????????
    JZ, 2 'Jog Z Spindle 2 inches above Z for travel
    SO, 1, 0 'Stop Spindle

Zeke...
    It may help to use the fill in sheet to get the correct parameters into this line. Once you do this it will become clear.

In preview mode, enter the C P command. Fill in the parameters as you need. Mouse hover will give you more info. The drop down boxes will display the viable options, allow you to select your options. WHen you select start, the line you need for the file, with proper syntax will be displayed. The [R] {R] command will allow you to record and save this command to allow copy and paste into your file. Hope this helps.
    Gary

Zeke,

Click Help in the ShopBot software and then select Command Reference and you'll find all the commands and what each parameter does in each one.

Bill

Guys, I tried both suggestions, but still couldn't figure out what "I,,,,-0.2916667 , 3 ,,,4,1" means. I may be overlooking something. For the CP commands I documented each field and entered a different value to see the results and it still left me puzzled as to what the information above means. If you have a specific area in the help manuals that denotes this please pass it along. Guess I'll give Tech Support a call, thanks for trying.

Another question for you, if you were going to drill a hole that is 3/8" in diameter with a 1/4" bit, would you use the drill commands or the cut circle?

I think the light bulb just turned on. Went back for some more perplexing exercises. The commas were throwing me I finally figured out they represent no selection. Thanks.

Another question for you, if you were going to drill a hole that is 3/8" in diameter with a 1/4" bit, would you use the drill commands or the cut circle?

I found a 3/8" bit with a 1/4" shank at Ace Hardware. Drill baby drill...

If you are writing a SBP file from scratch you would use either CC or CP to rout a 3/8" hole with a 1/4" bit. Try it with "Spiral Plunge" selected.

Zeke..
    A drill is a straight plunge. You would need to use the CC or CP.
    Gary

Zeke- you will save yourself a lot of time by using partworks (or aspire) to create your cut file for you. It makes cutting a 3/8 hole just a matter of telling partworks you want 3/8 holes and where, then when you create the toolpath, you let it know you are using a 1/4 inch bit (or 1/8 or whatever) and how deep to make the "pocket".

Because you can create any group of different hole sizes at the bit size or larger in a single cut file it makes complicated shapes trivial to make. The shopbot will just become more addictive when you figure out how to use PW in combination with SB3.

Then one bit can cut the whole design in many cases. It will handle most of the details and make it really easy when you are starting out.

Hope that helps-

D