Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room Operating Conditions

Default Room Operating Conditions

What temperature ranges are adequate for running a shopbot? Can it be run at below freezing, etc?

I'm sure it runs more optimal at a nominal temperature, but I'm curious what experiences people have had with this.

We ran at 40oC today - no problems. (that is over 100oF)

Ryan, let me chime in here on this one. Good Gerald has been running in temps over 100F. For the last couple weeks, i've been running at any temp from 30 - 50 degrees. I do heat my garage with a wood burner so it does warm up. And I probably haven't ran it much at below freezing, especially when the weather was at a negative. At least until I got a little heat in the garage... But they say to keep a computer cool, for optimal performance. Mine has been quite cool at times. I haven't had any problems with it running at cold temps..

Just my experiences...

We hit the home show this weekend with our samples. Wish me luck!

I don't heat my shop at night and occasionally it gets below freezing inside. I've never had a problem with the control box or router but I have had trouble with hard drives in computers not wanting to spin up until I've had the heat on for a little while. When that happens I take it as a sign to go drink another cup of coffee and give the heat a chance to run a little longer!

Bill

That is good to know. In the last month it has been down to about -25 F, here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota.

Scott Smith (Unregistered Guest) Guest

You guys just reminded me why I moved to Arizona. I am looking forward to Gerald’s temps this summer. It’s cold here in the winter, mid 60’s.

Scott Smith (Unregistered Guest) Guest

You guys just reminded me why I moved to Arizona. I am looking forward to Gerald’s temps this summer. It’s cold here in the winter, mid 60’s.

prosigns Guest

I've often wondered the same thing. I only heat my shop when I have a job to do. I've wondered if there would be a problem with condensation on the electronics. My theroy right or wrong has been if I run it long enogh to thoughly warm up any condensation should evaporate. If I start it up and use it when it's cold I like to let it run long enough for everything to get up to temp. before shuting it back down, even if it's a small jobb I just let it idle for a while before I shut it off.

I have bot setup in my garage also, and it occasionally drops to zero overnight. I've also been concerned about condensation on the electronics. So for the last 6 weeks I've left my computer and control box on all the time.

K Simmerer (Unregistered Guest) Guest

This is my second winter in the second story of a barn. Not waiting for room warm up the first season the first thing that really seemed to not like it was the monitor. Two monitors later I now use two strategies. 1.) warm the room to 55 deg F. before flippin the switch, I keep a thermometer sitting on the computer. 2.) Once started I can shut the heat down if desired and leave running if I plan to use the next day without waiting for a cold start warm up. If the room is below 32 deg. I usually still fire up the heat and don't proceed until room is over 32 deg. Have had no problems with this procedure.

Keith