Thread: Bit size and type

Default Bit size and type

19526.jpg
    I have an order to make 20 small boxes. The boxes are 1.25" thick, 3" wide and 5" long. They are designed for electronic components. The attached screen shot shows the recesses that have to be machined. I'll use a .125 end mill for the 4 narrow slots. However I'm not certain what cutter would be best for the larger recesses. I'd like to use one bit to machine all of the 4 larger pockets. The width of the smallest of the 4 is .5". I cut a sample with a .25 up spiral but I'm debating if I should go to a .375". Also, what type of bit would be best; upspiral, downspiral, staright, straight with shear?

Phil: If you are going to do this with 2 bits I would use a 1/2" and go for it-Make a good positioning jig, cut all with the 1/2" first, change bits and then all the 1/4" paths, use a downcutter for both. (No crossgrain tearout on the surface)

Dave

Phil, Im not sure what the material is but we have hogged some pretty hard maple, Oak, and softer Mahogany or Poplar with a .375 Super o flute with satisfactory results. We used spiral up cutters but had parts either clamped or screwed down so we wanted to clear and remove chips more than worry about upward bit pressure on the pieces.
    Just need to experiment with speed, depth, step over, climb vs conventional and feed to dial in the best results for you but the edges were quite clean even with multiple passes.