Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-axis interpolation

dale Guest

Default 3-axis interpolation

Does anyone know if you can ramp in the z-axis while cutting an arc? I am trying to cut a toolpath that begins with an arc and ramps down from z0 to z-.150 My cam program writes the code but when it is converted the z move is ignored.
    Is there a way to manually write this part of the program and if not maybe this is something that could be considered in future versions of the software
    Thanks
    Dale

Bob Neitzke 360-795-3621, 275 Columbia St Cathlamet WA 98612

What version are you using ?

This is spoz ta work in the new SB SW, I thought !

Havent tried it out yet myself.

Bob,

I just looked at the CC command specs. There is
    nothing about ramping down (3 axis interpolation),
    just "plunges" which to me means only 2 axis
    moves. This is sb2b10 command reference. If
    this command is/has changed, I would LOVE to see
    it, so I can modify the G-code converter to
    include this part of the command. Don't worry,
    a lot of older CNC controllers could not do this
    either.

The work around is to convert the arc or circle to
    short line segments (cords) with increasing depth.
    Programs like Bobcad, Vector ect will let you do
    this. If you are programming by hand, all I can
    say is "have fun", as you will be breaking out the
    old trig book and pocket calculator!

Bruce Clark
    bwclark@centuryinter.net

dale Guest

It wasn't that difficult. The software converted the arc to 10 line segments. After writing the toolpath I picked each segment to change the depth. It was very time consuming and being as lazy as I am I was looking for a quicker way.
    Thanks for the input
    Dale

Ted Hall, ShopBot Guest

Hi Dale,

Well now that you have it all figured out ...

Try using the spiral plunge feature of [CC] (or [CP]). If you set the tool to cut say a 6 in diameter arc, from say 30 to 110 degrees, you can have it plunge say -.165in over this distance by just entering that value as the 'plunge' and then turning on the 'Spiral' feature. You may also want to leave the bit in the material at the end and can also check that option.

Note: I just noticed that the spiral does not show up correctly in Preview Mode ... you have to do this one on the tool for the moment.

engiplas@n-link.com Guest

Ted, I tried this and sent you an e-mail about it, but no response. At the end of each spiral the Z axis raises up and then goes down to do the next spiral. I need to thread a hole, so the Z axis must stay down and the spiral continue. When you do the same technique with the rectangle cutting, the Z axis does not raise between the plunges.
    How do I do what I need to do?

Ted Hall, ShopBot Guest

Hi Don,

Sorry I missed this question in your e-mail. Here's the situation. In addition to the question asked above, your application requires multiple spirals in the plunge, as in the command: [CC] 1.0,t,1,,,-.1,5,,,3,1
    Which would be the instruction to make a 1 inch diameter spiral plunge to -.5 with 5 spirals.

You are correct in that there is a little glitch that has creeped into the software so that with multiple passes there is a pull up between passes. (This is acutally the Safe-Z pull up feature which is inadvertantly being activated between passes.)

We'll get this fixed in the next release ...

In the short run, to make this plunge work the way you want, just disable the Safe-Z pull-up feature: [VC] , , ,N
    Then you can spiral plunge the way you would like.

royalce@caribe.net Guest

I am a new user :
    When i make somthing in auto cad in 3d is possible to use this files to cut in shobot in 3d.
    If is possible how

malcolm@isle-of-bute.demon.co.uk Guest

I am just about to place an order for a ShopBot PR96. I really want the machine to carve half hull models of yachts. Does anyone have any experience of 3d carving on the ShopBot ? I am also looking at what 3d software to purchase?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Malcolm Johnston
    Isle of Bute
    Scotland

Bob Neitzke 360-795-3621, 275 Columbia St Cathlamet WA 98612

Doing a 3D model in any cad will be challenging.

But any CAD that can do 3d should also be able to export stl files. These can be sent to a stereolithogrophay house, for a fee, and you will receive an exact part created from liquid plastic and hardened by laser. I have a demo thinwall, Chess Rook complete with an internal spiral staricase, it's all one monolithic piece and couldnt be produced in any other way.
    I have seen, somewhere, a couple of programs that purport to import stl file and output g-code.
    This might be cheapest as the stl -> g-code programs were ~ $1000
    Seriously expensive programs like SurfCAM and
    Ungraphics UGShop take 3d models and create tool paths but you'll have to evaluate the utility/cost issues. UGShop is about $16000

If your CAD can do "planar slices" of 3D models then you could make slice files and combine and cut them with the SB.

go see this site too,

http://www.sculptor.org/stereo.htm

Autocad, MicroStation, Solid Edge, Art cam et al do 3d. All these are multithousand $ packages nad require a certain amount of training to use.

If you're just starting out, well ...
    this will be a wonderfull quest for you, just dont be impatient, this kinda stuff comes with a fairly protracted learning curve.