Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mach 2 On a Shopbot

podunk Guest

As far as buying a new shopbot, I already have one. It will be considerable cheaper at this time to convert to Mach2 and will add several functions to my shopbot such as on the fly speed control, simpler operation, and the ability to run in Windows XP. I know I could upgrade my control box and or upgrade to alpha but the cost of doing so would be more by at least a factor of around 10.

Also my design software does not export Sbp as Jon mentioned meaning xtra steps when preparing output.

Gavin,
    You already have the ability to run XP if you use the Windows software.

You can expect a 10-30% increase in speed and smoother operation over the PRT factory setup. However...there are a few things to point out with the Mach2 setup that may not be immediately apparent.

First, you are going to need a breakout board to properly wire up the parallel port to the drivers and any other in/outs you may have. There is a Mach2 board made by another vendor than the Mach2 software. I believe they are in the $150-200 range. You will need to purchase 4 drivers, either Geckos or other brand to drive the steppers at a cost of about $125 each. In my reasearch I found that some Gecko users complained of the driver going into a fault mode and not able to communicate with the Mach2 (Gecko not Mach2 problem)...so check that out before you delve in. You will also need to fabricate your own power supply for the steppers, or find one that can do the job.

Software-wise, you will need to write a routine to do the Z-zero function, and probe routines if you plan to use the SB probe.

To me, converting to Mach2 isn't something that I personally want to do. I rely on my machine to make me $, and don't have time to play mad scientist (at least not with the SB!) For the small increase in speed, it doesn't make sense to spend almost $1000 on something that I can't call support about. Not only that, but less than a handful of SB owners run Mach2, which means that if you do encounter a problem, who is going to support it?

Mach2 may be right for you and your situation, but upgrading to an Alpha with greater speed & closed loop feedback is something that I would hold out for.

JMHO
    -Brady

podunk Guest

Brady,

My understanding is that in order to use the windows software I would be required to upgrade my control box ($795 last post I saw). I already have a PMDX breakout $77 and my Geckos cost $114 including heatsinks & fan. As far as power supply goes the research I've done shows the power supply I already have (came with the SB) should work just fine.

I own a sign shop so I hear ya on the making "$" issue. Due to the age of my machine & the limitations of my control box I already feel like a mad scientist when I fire it up. I don't reccomend the solution that I and others are taking for people who don't like to tinker but I also believe that if you were all about turn key simplicity Shopbot would not have been your first choice.

As far as support goes check out Arts site http://www.artofcnc.ca/ & forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/. The Mach2 community is much larger than the SB brotherhood & there are lots of people more than willing to help out. The development rate on Mach2 is constant and bugs get worked out quickly.

With that said I agree that if you're not a little adventurous, willing to learn, and are not afraid to go down a road that may lead to some frustration than you should stick with the SB method of upgrading mentioned above.

Forgive me any typos & spelling it's early as I type this.

Gavin