Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RC Eliminator Chuck

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com Guest

Default RC Eliminator Chuck

Has anyone tried the RC Eliminator chuck? I've tried 3 and cannot get the runout (it could be eccentricity too) under .014" (measured 3" below the chuck). It vibrates like crazy. I've tried rotating the chuck in the spindle 60 degrees at a time, tapping it as I'm tightening.

I really don't want to use the Porter Cable wrenches.

Sugeri Inc., Crystal Beach Ontario Canada

I went out to an automotive store and bought big honkin' wrenches to replace the rinky dink ones from PC. Just don't go crazy tightening or you'll do damage. Now I can change bits without jarring the machine at all.

ron_cleaver Guest

Sheldon,

I got the Eliminator chuck recently. It works great for me. There's no vibration and I haven't noticed any problem with runout. I just cut a small, very detailed file last night and the result was excellent.

I noticed some directions that came with the chuck to use if you experience vibration. Did you try those instructions?

The only problem I've had with the chuck is removing the 1/4" collet. Last night it wouldn't come out, so I had to remove the chuck and tap it out. Kinda defeats the purpose of having the thing.

If I could find all the router bits I need with a 1/2" shank, then I wouldn't need the collet.

david allen Guest

sheldon,

I have the chuck. it workes OK for me. does it vibrate without a bit or with a very short bit installed?

da

edp@sunbeach.net Guest

Have been using the chuck for a few months, pushing the tool hard cutting 1 3/4" thick mahogany ( 5 passes). No problems, no vibration, no complaints.

bwclark@centurytel.net Guest

Sheldon,

Have you REALLY cleaned both the threads on the RC chuch and your PC router? I mean clean them with something like Acetone and an old toothbrush?

If you are getting that much run-out, something is seriously wrong. That and the bearing on your router will be shot in a short time.

I would also look at the threads on both the chuck and the router to make sure they have not crossed threaded and are in good shape.

Bruce Clark
    bwclark@centurytel.net

bwclark@centurytel.net Guest

Opps,

I ment to say clean the taper not the threads, with acetone and a toothbrush.

Bruce Clark
    bwclark@centurytel.net

Sheldon, i've been using the Eliminator ever since I got my 'bot back in Jan 01. The bearings in my first PC 3.25 were bad to start with so i did get some vibration, however since installing a new PC 3.25 variable sp. I haven't noticed any unusual vibrations. I agree with Ron about the 1/4" collet sticking and additionally we notice that there is some form of rust that forms on the 1/2" bits although not sure why.

jrc

edp@sunbeach.net Guest

I have noticed the rust on the shanks of my 1/2" bits and wondered why as well. We wipe down the shanks with a little WD-40 before inserting into the collet and still get the rust. Thought it was the slightly salty air here in the island but that does not appear to be the cause.

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com Guest

I tried setting the Eliminator up using a bearing guided trim bit instead of the 1/2" shaft. I was able to get it running much more concentric when measured at the bearing. Not as good as the original collet, but better than before. I noticed that when I rotated the bit in the Eliminator, I measured various amounts of runout suggesting that you need to orient the bit so that runout in the Eliminator cancels the runout in the bit. I measured other bearing guided bits and found the same.

Speaking of the 1/4" adapter, they've sent me three so far and none of them will accept a 1/4" bit. They measure closer to 6mm than .250".