Thread: Thinking of buying an SB

dwt Guest

Default Thinking of buying an SB

I am considering buying an SB. I need to make sure it will do what I need. We are a screen and digital printer. Our primary materials are plastics. With the recent addition of a flat bed digital printer we are getting a lot of small qty runs say from 5pcs. to 100 pcs. The cost of a steal rule die to die-cut these qtys. is not cost effective. The machine needs to be able to cut in register to pre-printed pcs. Is anyone doing this? The materials we use the most are styrene, Sintra, Acrylic, Foamcore, PETG and HDPE in gauges from .010" through .25" Is anyone useing this machine for similar types of work?

Thanks,
    Dan

Yup, we cut for a few graphics companies. Same materials, no problem once you get past the learning curve. The trick is you have to have artwork that is registered on the piece of plastic. Remember everything is located on an x - y axis. We had some troubles making one printer understand that we needed files not only of the artwork but where it was on the stock, I mean exactly where, not "about 1/4" from the edge". Also, take the time to educate youself on the differences between a cnc spindle and a router to determine your needs, not to mention learning about the tooling. Be glad to help out with questions if you have them.

Eric
    elcruisr@bellsouth.net

Dan,

I own a sign & graphics company which also does some of the work you described. You should be able to get do this type of work with relative ease.

What software are you using now? You may be able to work with your system now, if you are only doing simple cut out shapes. This is a no brainer for a SB.

There are many SB users that will be more than happy to assist you with questions.

Joe

dwt Guest

Most the files we get are furnished with die lines already built in Mac formats: Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark or In-Design. We also use the same software in PC format.

Dan

joe crumley Guest

Dan,

You will need to convert the files to vectors such as EPS, DXF, CDR, AE-EPS. Bitmats will not work.

What software are you using?

Joe