Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now For the Software...

johnandrhondawebb@netzero.net Guest

Default Now For the Software...

OK, so I've got CorelDraw 11 & have been using it since v9. For a good V-Carved sign, am I correct in understanding that I can output true type designs to PartWizard & get my desired results that way? What about Post Script fonts? If I convert to curves then output as dxf or ai, can I still apply a v-carve with PartWizard?

For 3D, I have 3D Studio MAX 4.1, but this program is insane I tell ya. Wireframe, patch, NURBS modeling... sub menus off sub menus & more options than I'd ever use. I'm thinking I'd only use it to modify existing meshes (flatten Z depth) & output to MillWizard to create small accent graphics that can be glued or screwed on to the top surface. How are you guys applying 3d elements if any?

I found this link list for anyone who's into 3d.
    http://www.huntfor.com/3d/links.htm

I gotta tell ya... I can't stop thinking about making stuff with my new ShopBot! - John

Yeeesh... a lotta dead links on that list... weak... Anyone with a solid resource for 3d models you can actually use?

graphicmetals Guest

Hi John,

PartWizard will not import text (as real text) and V carve it. You can add text in PartWizard, but you only get about 5 fonts that will V Carve. It will not V carve any shapes. Very limited capability. For us, it's OK because we are not a sign shop. If you are primarily doing signs, you really ought to consider something other than PartWizard.

Have not used MillWizard yet, so I can't help with that.

Regards,
    Kevin

John,
    Will you be down at the Jamboree? If so I'll be distributing my annual "list"of 3D web sites for models/tutorial/links. If not, send me a note, and I'll forward it on to you...Bill P.

What about VisualMill? Vector will do it, but if VM Basic could do it, I'd save a few bucks & have the option to upgrade to VM Full... which looks like it'll give ArtCAM a helluva run for the money. Anyone know if you can v-carve dxf with VM? I can model a v-carve in MAX, but I don't know what will accomodate the tool pathing. ArtCAM & Insignia is outta the question.

John,
    If you can model it in Max, you should then be able to export it as a 3DS file, and take it into Millwizard for toolpathing... Bill P.

Sugeri Inc., Crystal Beach Ontario Canada

What about Visual Mill?

Is anybody using it for vcarving and if so do you have the full or the basic version. I have one of the first PRT96's and have been struggling with many ways of cutting and carving. I am just doing a final eval. on ArtCam Insignia, which it looks like I will lease... BUT I'm curious about the Visual Mill basic package being sold for $1,000US which includes v3 of Rhino, which normally sells by itself for a $1,000. I have been threatening to download and try the VM demo, but no time. I just haven't seen much about VM on this or other forums!

Any insights would be welcome on or offline!

Thanks in advance.

Gary

laff_riot@charter.net Guest

I was hell bent on getting Artcam as well until I ran across RamsPro software. When I came out of Artcam drool phase it dawned on me that 98% of my business was do-able with RamsPro which puts a lot of pressure on that 2% for making up the 6k price tag difference.

Since purchasing RamsPro I have downloaded several free to $200 range image to 3d g-code interpreters which I will use for the 3d fox heads and other items where Artcam shines.

Here’s another rough way to look at it. Running Artcam 5 hours per day, with 3 year depreciation and 25% increase for upgrades comes out to $2.60 per hour – versus RamsPro $.42 per hour. That’s a medium cheese pizza and tip per day.

http://www.rams-software.com/ - Very friendly people and they will customize your post for. The websites in a moment of transition so just give them a call – they will send you a full working version for 15 days.

Happy Holidays
    Laff.

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

Laff,
    RAMS only allows you to do toolpathing...ArtCAM does toolpathing...AND you can create 3D within the program.

-Brady

joe crumley Guest

Laff,

I am have both ArtCam and Rams and would never go back to Rams. While it does some steps OK it is not in the same league.

When I purchased Rams there was a lifetime free upgrade which came to an end, as well as the support, unless I coughed up $200.

You can see some of my V Carv on the SB Web page under Sb's in use, signs.

joe