Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandblasted look

Default Sandblasted look

I've been trying to get the sandblasted look in Sign Foam with the bot using Aspire. This is the first one I've cut and I think it's passable.

The problem I have is the same one I've read about here that others have encountered, it takes an awful long time to cut. This little guy took around two hours(9"x14"). Hard to justify the time for an address plaque.

I'll have to try it on a larger scale sometime.

( I know the kerning is messed up. I changed the font from a flat pocketed version of this sign and I didn't catch it until it was cutting).

Darren

40323.jpg

40324.jpg

that is my problem with the textured backgrounds. It does take a long time.

we burned up a 10hp spindle each year doing simulated backgrounds. I am not sure if it was because we did not allow the spindle to cool down or it was over use. Many times we let the router run overnight to do large backgrounds. As i recall we did not use the dust collector when we did that. Anyone else have this problem?

How many hours are the spindles rated for?

I bet the foam dust is hard on bearings.

RB

The time it takes for the ShopBot to do textured backgrounds has never been a problem to me. We are not a production shop that turns out 40 wigits a day but a custom dimensional studio. The ShopBot is not running all day, every day, so whatever it takes to get the job done is fine with me. I'm not using my time sitting there watching it do its thing - I'm off doing something else. If it takes 30 minutes or 8 hours it's all the same to me because I've sold the sign based on its worth to the customer, not ShopBot router time.

Of course, there's more electricity use and wear and tear on the spindle but that is little compared to the look I can get without having to use my hands.

I'm with Raymond on this one!
    It does take a while to produce nice detailed panels, but I'm not doing it.....the machine just huuummms away in the back of the shop.
    I just love it!
    I don't have to buy and apply sandblast tape
    I don't have to make a paper pattern.
    I don't have to cut out the tape.
    I don't have to get suited up to sandblast or
    I don't have to drive to the sandblast shop.
    I don't have to wait till Thursday afternoon
    to pick it up.
    Did I mention I love the machine!

I agree with Raymond. I do not like blasting if i have to do it myself.
    We have spent about $10,000 on spindles burning up. It could be a problem related to something peculiar to our operation.
    Like Raymond says and i agree. it is about volume of work which may determine equipment and methods used or desired. I did see a posting last month that made that combined routing with sandblasting that looked interesting to me. Router cuts the blast tape, rout down a bit of bkg then do a quick blast to texture. Maybe even using the grain frame. I liked that concept if you have a nice blast set up in place. Each shop is different for so many reasons. Financial backing being a big one. Sign shops can be like black holes for money spent to grow.

My PC runs about a year and a half ( 650 hours) then I need to replace the contacts, that's it. I've had the same PC for 5 years.
    The machine carves everything while I'm doing something else. Customers don't realize how little time a one-off shop, actually spins their bits so, because much of the time is taken doing other things i let the machine do the work.

On the other hand, I have two computers, side by side, used to design and/or cut pieces.

I can see why your name is magic.
    the only magic i have is that money just vanishes.

Mind if I ask how much the aspire software runs. When I do a sign I just use a bull nose bit & cut straight lines. The dimensional background looks great.