Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slice Forms

Default Slice Forms

Is anyone using slicefroms as a building technique. I designed the shape and the ribs of this very quickly in Solidworks. The slots however took a while and are less than optimal. Is anyone with a bot profeciant enough with Solidworks to help me with develop a quick technique for makeing the slots.

45970.jpg

Someone had posted this design, or something similar, a while back. Not sure what to tell you in order to do a search but i believe they posted the files also. That might help you to figure your design if you could see these.

I don't know much about SW, but it's very doable with scripting. I've done it in Rhino with Grasshopper. It can be a difficult thing. When I did mine, I made the inside edge always match up flush with the crossing piece, so that the crossing pieces are never proud and never show their plys. If you can make a 'parametric' script, you'll be in luck.. that way, you can change the thickness of the material and the ribs will be shifted to compensate and the slots will be the correct size.

Hey Dan,
    Try using the "Linear Step and Repeat" tool in SW. It is located under Tools/Sketch Tools. This will allow you copy the slot and repeat as many times as you would like at a fixed distance over the length you desire. PartWorks/Aspire has the same feature also.

Larry

I think I've got it figured out. It will take me a couple of days, However I will repost some results. Solidworks is really cool, but it takes alot of time to learn. It is going to be a great tool to go along with the bot. More Slice forms to come!

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

That would make a very interesting wall display unit

Ok Guys, Still struggling along with designing these things but this is my latest, I will keep posting as things become more complex and cool. Anyone intrested in starting a thread on what you've created using Solidworks and the bot?

46057.jpg

Daniel...i like your globe design. Do you have any pics of the parts unassembled? How were the parts cut and assembled? How do they lock together? Very cool!!

Hey Jack, No I didn't take any pics of the unassembled parts. All the peices are just sloted at the correct places. Its all held together just by the interlocking peices, no glue. It only took about ten minutes to slide together. I'm trying to learn Solidworks, and I'm using sliceforms as encouragement to learn how to manipulate the program.

I don't have any software that can even come close to Solidworks so I will be watching your progress! Thanks for sharing!
    Mike