Thread: Troubleshooting fun

Default Troubleshooting fun

I'd been cutting about 4 hours yesterday when the bot stalled and an "8021" runtime error popped up. Never seen that one before. I restarted the software, regained control of the bot which was sitting there spinning at 12k in my project. It lost all positional data.

OK, try 2... re-zero using the laser and go. Stalled again further into the file (project now about 1/2 cut), same error.

Flash the firmware, verify cables, check comm speed (83%) and reboot computer.

Try 3, stalled again before reaching same point.

Complete shutdown... now the shop is quiet so I have to watch what I say :-)

After about 30 minutes of surfing, looking, reading, poking everything looks good. Now the hold down vacs have been running the whole time. They are outside in a small cabinet (ventilated) so they should be fine. I go to re-zero HUH? now my laser doesn't work. &@$&%@#$ I decide to just wing it and rezero of the prox then line up on my registration mark on the table. After 10 minutes I was really really close.

Try 4... as it is about to start I notice something doesn't look quite right at the other end of the table... the material is lifting... STOP... check and vac is at 2" ?? OK... I check and a hose collapsed on one of the fiens and split the side. $%&*@$& OK, patched up.

Try 5... Stalls %&$@@#%$&**& #$@%&&* @$##&%**#$ Now shutdown everything. Deep breath. Restart, try to move the bot... won't move with the remote key pendant $%%&%@$ used the keyboard. Now I'm convinced some higher power is about to split a side laughing.

Then I hear the PC make the hardware removed hardware added sound (Da dum, Da DUM) ?? AND the 8021 error pops up on the screen with the control software idle. I figured out it is the USB hub. I have a powered USB hub inside the control box to give me a piggy back point for the pendant and I use to run the VFD speed control from it but moved back to the PC. So it's only the bot and the pendant.

I can unplug the USB hub and generate the same error... at least one problem located. Let me just summarize... You know those power block transformers used to power small electronic stuff... they CANNOT take the heat generated inside the control box. I have a 110V circuit into the box with some plugs on it. I draw my laser power from it and the USB hub. Hmmm... the breaker for that circuit has been tripped and the transformer looks strangely deformed. I put a non powered USB hub in, since the key pads draws next to nothing no big deal. Reset the breaker...

Try 6... laser worked, vac still going, file finally ran to completion.

The parts were the wrong size, I toolpathed wrong...cut on instead of outside. %&$%$@@#$%*&

:-)

/RB

Ron,
    Some days it's better to just stay in bed but it sure would be nice to know which ones ahead of time!!

Thanks for the help on programing the pendant, I finally got mine programed and operating yesterday.
    Still have one or two minor tweaks to make but sure is an improvement from the remote 10 key pad I was using. Once I got into it and played for awhile the programing started to make sense, sure was confusing initially! I have been considering replacing the ShopBot USB hub with a powered unit so thanks for info in your post.
    Mike

Harry I think that was god telling you to take the day off! You should listen to your intuition!
    When things like that start happening to me, one right after another, it's usually because i'm tired and i just give up and walk away and come back with a fresh mind (usually after a good NAP!)

RB,

Very efficient of you to get all of your errors, gremlins, and mistakes out of the way for the month. Should be smooth sailing from here...