Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm loosing it...

Thumbs down I'm loosing it...

Just how many of you Botters keep getting those 'Missing com...', loose communication, hangs and complete crash of SB3 (ShopBot control software - whatever the version)?!

I've been fitting this plague at my end for years now and it's just getting worst lately. Overall, I must be loosing at least 10% of my machine time (not to mention my enthusiasm to work with my tool) recovering from various communication problems. Don't ask!!! I tried pretty much everything else than religion on this...

Just curious to hear about how it goes for you at your end...

Grounding and a new serial/USB took care of it for us. We may get a lost comm about once every few months -- usually while using the keyboard to move the gantry.
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Default Grounding

A good 4' copper clad ground rod, driven into the soil, surrounded by some rock salt, as close as possible to the machine, is the way to go I think...

Anything less might not be enough.

The most important thing is to get everything on the machine grounded together at a common ground point. This eliminates ground loops in the system which can cause a lot of these problems.

I've got everything on my machine that is not bolted or welded together tied together with 12 gauge insulated ground wire to a common point. Then that point is tied to the building power ground with a 10 gauge insulated ground wire. The VFD is tied to the same common ground point as well to ensure no ground loops here as well.

I haven't had a lost comm. problem since all the grounding was put in place.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Currently have 2 machines on latest software, a PRS and a PRT 4G and neither has missing com problems. Do have all components tied to common ground.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Paco...
    I have fought this problem, with varying error messages, since my machine was new. I have grounded everything (twice), moved the machine, replaced all LV wiring to the gantry with shielded, and have now virtually eliminated it with the exception that I almost always get a couple erroneous stop hits or lost comm errors when my machine is cold. The majority of these after keyboard entry. Mouse acceptance rarely if ever returns error.

I have gone thru dozens of "things to try" from tech support. I now believe that officially they (SB Tech Support) think that this is an environmental problem. In other words, some type of electrical interference that is particular to the local environment where the machine sits. Some places are just better or worse than others. They also believe that this interference comes from outside sources.

I disagree. Here are a few reasons why:

Bill Young's side by side machines. One had/has the problem one doesnt. Same room, same installer, same environment. Documented. Upgrade of prox switches has eliminated problem.

It appears, and SB Techs reccomend, problem goes away then limits are switched off. This, to me, almost proves my theory. Why advertise limits as value added, when turning them off is solution?

My machine, especially when cold, can produce multiple stop errors before it ever moves, before the spindle, dust collector or any other equipment has been started. Let it sit for 1 hour and problem goes away.

I seldom, if ever, have a stop hit when machine is running. Ratio of sitting to moving is 20/1.

Like you, I feel that the problem has become worse with newer generations of the software. I used to "prove" this (to myself) by switching back to a previous version and watch a problem go away. I was not alone in these actions. We have since found out that this may not be a good thing.

It appears that the programmers never considered that someone would want to revert back to an earlier version. Versionality errors in registry and .ini settings really mucked up the works when swapping versions. Programmers obviously dont have their livelyhoods on the line when a new version doesnt perform, at least not to the extent that we do.

I will be picking up an PRSalpha 9660 ATC machine next month. Due to possible lack of credibility with TS by having many user modifications, this machine will remain factory stock until it can be proven to me that it works.

I am sure that it will, as they have had plenty of time to tune it up, albeit in a "sterile" environment.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Paco, just a thought, it sounds like you've had your machine for a while. My machine is fairly new. When I received my bot it came with a seperate usb hub. It is supposed to help with 'comm' issues. Could it just be that you need one of those usb hubs? Russ

I have had a few Missing Com Errors on my 4G PRS Standard but they seem to be mostly caused by attempts to cut too fast. My normal jog speed is 6 IPS, and the fastest I have successfully cut 3/4" plywood was 5 IPS in two passes with a 1/4" bit I have experienced missing com errors when attempting to jog or cut faster than the above speeds. I have never had a com error while cutting at normal speeds. I have had a few unexplained com errors, one of which I think I can associate to a power brown out. A few others when the machine was cold but always in between files.
    Last edited by michael_schwartz; 03-29-2010 at 08:05 AM.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

On my PRT-Alpha, I use opto-isolation between the controller and all input signals (prox. sensors and Z-Zero plate). I haven't had a problem since I isolated the signals and replaced the factory prox. sensors with similar units that are run on 12VDC instead of 5VDC. The opto-isolation handles the voltage difference between 12V and 5V.

Hi I had my prs alpha for almost one and half years now and still have com Errors too the point were I almost ready to give up. I have done everything I read on this form and A fews I came up with.
    1. New Computer with only the shopbot program On it.
    2. New usb hub. Best I could find.
    3. new usb cable
    4. Grounded EVERYTHING WITH NUMBER #6. Three 3/4" x 10' copper ground rod too a copper bus. Everything is grounded to this bus.
    5. Isolation Transformer for Everything.
    6. Ups system for the computer and bot controler.
    7. All the new upgrade
    8. reloaded the firmware
    9. completely reformat the computer load latest software and again reloaded the firmware.
    Still , even right from start it will lose the comm port or can't fid it.
    I don't beleive this is a ground problem.
    Do you think I could a bad board in the controler.
    What did I miss.