Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm loosing it...

A few thoughts based on my two machines.

Both 4g std machines.

I was having trouble with the new sb3 for a while when it was buggy. (3.6.5) time frame.

They sent me a newer v204 interface card for my controller.

I had tons of trouble with lost comm. I did the hub, usb card, several calls to tech support. Finally after the bugs were out of the sb3(version 11) I put my old card back in and have not had trouble any more.

My prs 4g also has that old board now and still no trouble.

I did have some trouble getting the ecab link running and a lot of that was due to not enough ram on the pc to the bot. It was loosing com during the link running.

I put 2 gigs in it and those troubles went away. (Thanks to Gary)

I would think on an alpha with newer controllers, Ram would be critical as well. Folks running those machines can give you more insight to the pc's that work on em. If I were going alpha, I would be looking for at least 4 gigs of ram on my pc for the machine.

If your machine is trying to run faster than your pc will allow, I think you will loose comm.

Kenneth
    Kenneth

I have a core 2 duo with 8 gb of ram and solid state hard drive. I would think this would be enough.

I installed a amplified USB cable, cleaned and shrink rapped the connections and wow, no more trouble. This was on PRT-alfa, and I thought I had a big problem, Nope,just a weak com signal..

Another cause of comm errors that was causing me to pull my hair out last week is USB devices that go to sleep.

I switched to a wireless keyboard/trackball setup that went to sleep halfway through most jobs. Not a problem you would think but whenever it woke up again (usually caused by vibration rather than me using the keyboard) a comm error occured every time.

I've also had comm errors when unplugging my thumb drive but that one is down to old age forgetfullness.

Paco,

Have you changed the material that you have been cutting? Wood is slightly conductive and may help to hide static problems. Cutting something like PVC or ureathane make make static problems much worse.

Paul Z

It's really random at my end. It really seem to be relate to the USB management...?

Wow...does everybody but a few lucky botters have this issue to some degree?

When I turn on the computer and start the shopbot software, I always get a message that it can't find the tool. I unplug the USB cable from the computer and plug it right back in. I then tell it to retry and everything works. Does anyone know what to do about this?

Quote Originally Posted by donchandler View Post
    When I turn on the computer and start the shopbot software, I always get a message that it can't find the tool. I unplug the USB cable from the computer and plug it right back in. I then tell it to retry and everything works. Does anyone know what to do about this?
    Sound familiar... Since sometime, I moved the control PC for troubleshoot this issue, whenever I get this 'Missing com...' prompt, I generaly can resume after unplugging the USB cable of the control box. Otherwise, I'm stuck for good.

I get the feeling that the control box (what exactly I can't say) somewhat mess with the control PC (and/or Windows') USB management... I tried two different PC.

Maybe it's also worth mentioning that, in my case, I get a first 'Missing com...' prompt then, after a few seconds, I get another one then it just crash and I need to end SB3 process from Windows Task Manager. Like I said, I need to unplug the control box USB cable for the next SB3 start to work correctly (connect with the tool).

Like I said in the previous post, it's so random at my end that I cannot associate the problem with something in my shop setup... but I keep trying...

Wow , I am really confused now at the variety of proposed solutions . I have a new Alpha and I am getting Comm Errors while running the E-cabinets Link. I have a new Windows 7 PC with 4G of Ram and it looks like when running the link I don't even use 1/2 of it . It appears from these discussions there are at least 6 possible areas to look for solutions to this
    problem :

- More RAM (I have lots)
    - Grounding (tech support told me what I had done was adequate)
    - Amplified USB cable (never heard of these)
    - Turning off limits
    - Changing limit cables and devices to shielded cable and opto-isloated devices(expect Shopbot to provide if this is what is required !!!)
    - going to a wired keyboard and mouse (mine are wireless but will change if this is a problem)

The only 'simple' solution of the bunch is to disable inputs and by this I think people mean the limit switches and the zero plate . Is there a way
    to disable these in software without opening up the control box and takign the wires off . Zero plate I obviously want to use when not running design files so want an easy way to disable it ....

I guess I am confused by the whole Comm Error issue . Is this a noise issue on the USB line where the PC/control box is flooded with messages it doesn't understand or is it a loss of communication . I echo the frustration politely expressed here . I lost it today after hitting this error twice in 20 minutes while running a job . I have sent a letter to Ted demanding a solution we can implement with confidence as this is not a toy and I can't afford the days on the phone with tech support or the countless trips to the hardware store trying to engineer solutions to what is clearly a BIG hole in the design of this product

With any luck Ted will respond here so we can all benefit from a working solution .

Bill