Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: small detail sander

I can't come up with exactly what I want... hook and loop isn't ideal for me as I get my sandpaper in PSA rolls through the 3M employee store. My sister mails me these end of run and returned rolls.

Rather than make a hurried decision... I think my old solution is the best for now. I have an old Dewalt sander that going to get a adapter epoxied to it.

Thanks for your input... a long term solution will still need to be made!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Fein oscillating multi master thingy ma bob (the thing with several different types of cutters, sanders, carbide files, etc.

I have made custom size sanding pads to get into small areas. If you are half way handy (and if youre here you are) you could take an old saw, epoxy a block of wood or some sort of plastic to the face, that would fit into your space and also be good to stick the PSA sandpaper to.

Come on, there is ALWAYS a way to do things... "Red Green" it! (without the duct tape)

AJC

Steve, the Festool has a rubber base pad. I use the tip or back corner to get into spots. I can literally polish a dime with the tip, or could easily sand something like a business card shape pocketed down into a sign. It'll get anywhere and it works smoothly. I can set the sander's speed so I don't go wild and wreck stuff.
    Granted, I have no idea how your area is laid up, but it's very seldom I need to make a sanding block nowadays. If you could pick one up and try it, I'm sure you could return it if it doesn't work out.

Scott and all

The recess I'm trying to sand is 5/8" deep... a business card holder.

SG

Beautiful work Steve.

Nice holding jig... I use pivot clamps like that but never thought of using a squire up jig...
    Good idea.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

I use one of these all the time:

http://www.proxxon-tools.com/tools/P...nder--789.html

Its dynamite for getting into tight spots and small parts. You can tilt the sanding belt to different angles depending on the job. It even has a port for dust collection, which I dont use, as the hose is in the way all the time.

Its variable speed, but that is a feature that is not important. Its "high" speed is not very high.

On the negative side its very effective and if you hold in one spot for a moment with a little pressure, it cuts a groove. Try it on some scrap till you get the feel for it.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

You're right, Steve. That Festool of mine would do the top, but it wouldn't reach way down to do that bottom one.
    I'm not sure what bit you're hogging that out with, but if I finished it up with an 1/8" ballnose with a 15-20% stepover, it would be smooth as a baby's bottom. Maybe you could try that once and see if the increased time would be offset by the time saved sanding?

Thought I would share a feature of this box... I use an offset kerf hinge...http://craft-inc.myshopify.com/collections/hinges/kerf-hinges I rout out a pocket, recess and all for the hinge and install it with a routed shaped spline. This process allows me to do all the prep work for the hinge on the bot and install the hinge without fear of splitting the wood in a fragile area of the project.
    Gerald... thank you, compliments always appreciated!

Adrian and Dana... the Proxxon tools looks the closest to what I want! Dana do you have a state side supplier?

Eugene... I have about a 1/16" pocket in the jig, the square was screwed down after the first part was positively located. Every thing else is accurately located after that and held securely between the square and the cheap cams pivoting on a deck screw.

Scott... I'm using a 1/4" down spiral FEM bit. I tried using an 1/8 bit as it would have saved a tool change but was unhappy with the time it was taking... and it wasn't even a ball bit with a small step-over! I've got a hundred of these to make...