Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Finger/Box Joint Software

Gert, CONGRATULATIONS!
    It was really a nice thing to see the notification from TailMaker in my inbox
    Downloaded the new version but haven't opened it yet, still on my first "Cuppa" but it looks good.
    Should be receiving an order from Dad soon for Kirks Desktop.
    Is $45 an introductory price? I noticed a $59.95 crossed out.
    Feel free to use any of my pics posted here or, as I mentioned when I registered
    I'll be glad to give a "Glowing" customer recommendation after the expresso kicks in.
    Great thing to wake up to!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ....is $45 an introductory price?..........
    Yes, that is the idea. Glad you like it.

Gert

Thanks for the updated software , looks interesting , will give it a try this week

bob
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8

G., That 5-sided Box option looks Really Neat! Going to have to give that one a shot Be interested in what people say when they see THAT. A third wood for a really Funky look? So that option creates 3 .TAP files I imagine? Have to scope it out in a SB3 preview to see all 4 sides cut on the bottom panel. So that one would have to be "Onion Skinned"/ Vac Pucked/ or carpet taped I imagine.
    Have to read the .PDF again, as I forget to check out the "Tab" thing.
    5-sided Always cuts all the way through the fingers like the "Box-Drawer" option?
    I KNOW---Read the directions
    Thanks again Gert!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    G.... So that option creates 3 .TAP files I imagine?

5-sided Always cuts all the way through the fingers like the "Box-Drawer" option?
    The 5-sided open box will create 5 files and the 6-sided cube/brick will make 6 files. Depending on the joint layout, some of them may or may not be identical and redundant. I just found a possible bug in the 5-sided box output with a joint cut missing on one side of one board. Need to look at that tonight.

But I got to explain that anyway more in detail in the manual. Normal drawers and boxes have an A-side joint on both sides of the A-board while the B-board has obviously the B-side joint on both ends. That makes the boards symmetrical.

For the 5 or 6-sided option, all boards are unsymmetrical: they have A-side left and bottom and B-side on right and top. That way when you look at the cube from any side it looks the same. However, I still refer to the boards themselves for sizing pupose as "A-1", "A-2", "B-1", "B-2" for the sides, "ABT" for the top and "ABB" for the bottom. I know it is confusing but the best way I could come up with.

At some point I may add a feature for arranging all cuts from one sheet but maybe that means going overboard. I usually cut them from individual pieces anyway.

The onion skin/tab option should work with the 5/6 side option as well but I guess I have not actually tried that.

Thanks G. , I actually understood that I think you're contagious
    scott P.
    Maine

I feel like being the Orkin Man....killing all the little bugs in my program. But I am getting there. Today I found the protrusion function did not work properly and fixed that. I had originally intended that only to make sure the fingers are at least flush with the mating surfaces for easier sanding but I tried some serious protrusion today and it even looks kind of pretty. Not sure yet what to use it for. That example is roughly thickness sanded yellow cedar fence board and the joints as they come from the machine. No finish sanding, only some laquer.

Don't try that with the currently published software version. I will provide an update over the weekend.

Default Log Cabins?

Well as a model maker it sure looks like it would work for doing log cabins! Well done. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Gert,

I was about to download the software. Should I wait until you have manipulated it a bit more? I did the demo version the other day. Have not worked with it yet. Just read some of the info to get familiar- and am wanting to download the real deal.

Thanks,

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by MogulTx View Post
    ..... Should I wait until you have manipulated it a bit more?......
    Please see my PM.

I have a request: If anybody has a specific questions about the software please PM or email me. I do not want to stress Nancy's patience and abuse this forum as a selling platform (more than I already do) and rather post here about interesting projects and examples that may help do things with your Shopbot.

Thanks!