Thread: New shop ideas

Hybrid View

"I have a high ceiling / clearance and it sure is nice when swinging 'stuff' around. What I wished I had in my 40x50 shop is Spray booth/dedicated finishing area". Russ

I have always liked looking at pics of your shop - My side wall will be 14' and should be 17' in the center, hope that will be enough - Yes I have a dedicated spray area now and will in the new shop also
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Tim,
    If monolithic slab, then a thermal break on the outside, if small frost wall, then thermal break on inside of frost wall. It isolates your slab/sub slab earth and gives you a lot of thermal mass and will save you cooling costs.
    Russ,
    Did you run any power under the slab?
    Does your 8' ply wall go all around? Great for shelving/tools/vac runs/ad infinitum
    Love how most of your work surfaces are the same height as your trolleys.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Tim,
    If monolithic slab, then a thermal break on the outside, if small frost wall, then thermal break on inside of frost wall. It isolates your slab/sub slab earth and gives you a lot of thermal mass and will save you cooling costs.
    Russ,
    Did you run any power under the slab?
    Does your 8' ply wall go all around? Great for shelving/tools/vac runs/ad infinitum
    Love how most of your work surfaces are the same height as your trolleys.
    scott
    Scott, not sure I understand - what would be used as a thermal brake? we just put a moisture barrier (plastic) then concrete
    www.TLCW.us

Tim,
    Up to 80% of heating/cooling can be lost through heat transfer in uninsulated slabs.
    For monolithic slabs, the easiest way is to simply put insulation on the concrete forms, and let the pressure of the concrete hold it flat.
    Something is needed to protect blue foam from UV/etc. I used treated plywood on my house 19 yrs ago and still good, and just mason nailed or Tapcon'd as needed, but imagine there are other things available now. Ask contractors, but maybe avoid stucco as it can peel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6T0G-Cny8
    Cheap way to save a lot of cash over the years.
    With the slab and the earth underneath it creates a huge thermal mass...It's whats keeping my house at 72F now, when it's 85F outside right now(No AC here)
    Hope it helps.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Tim,
    Up to 80% of heating/cooling can be lost through heat transfer in uninsulated slabs.
    For monolithic slabs, the easiest way is to simply put insulation on the concrete forms, and let the pressure of the concrete hold it flat.
    Something is needed to protect blue foam from UV/etc. I used treated plywood on my house 19 yrs ago and still good, and just mason nailed or Tapcon'd as needed, but imagine there are other things available now. Ask contractors, but maybe avoid stucco as it can peel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6T0G-Cny8
    Cheap way to save a lot of cash over the years.
    With the slab and the earth underneath it creates a huge thermal mass...It's whats keeping my house at 72F now, when it's 85F outside right now(No AC here)
    Hope it helps.
    scott
    Ok, not sure if that would be good here, a Hard winter is 3 or 4 times All winter we drop below 20F so our soil freeze depth is maybe .25 inch. Summer is a little different and I could see how it may help but not sure it would be worth the cost, my dogs only have to dig down a couple inches to find cooler dirt
    Thanks for the idea though
    Tim
    www.TLCW.us