Thread: Signmaking material

Default Signmaking material

OK, I know this may have been asked a million times BUT since i don't make signs i don't pay too much attention. A friend has asked me to make him something and my question is, what is the best WOOD to use for a sign. He doesn't want signfoam or extira, or any of these fancy materials just something simple so I wondered what wood would be the best for a siple 24" round or 15"x30" outdoor sign. Also since it is wood what surface protection would be best for it? Thanks guru's!

LM Custom Woodcrafts, Cortlandt Manor New York

White oak is fairly water-impervious. Holds up well, plain or stain, spar urethane for exterior. My 2 cents - works for me.

i ordered cedar blanks from alumapanel and they were perfect,

here is brand

http://www.allwoodsignblanks.com/

Jack - Western Red Cedar would probably be your best choice as James suggests. I have been searching for a source around Virginia. The closest place that I have found is The Hardwood Store of NC. They are near Greensboro.

For finish, I have heard a lot of people to suggest Sikkens brand. They have a Cetol Log Cabin Stain. I have a local paint store that sells it for $70 a gallon. My paint store does sell a little half pint can that is meant as a color sample. One of those may be big enough to do just one sign.

I agree with Brad on Cedar and Sikkens. Another finish option if you want a natural look and the carved part to have good contrast is the following: apply a good coat or 2 of 2 part penetrating epoxy sealer ( http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/index.html ), vcarve the sign, apply a dark penetrating stain to the carved part wiping excess off sealed part, then after allowing to dry apply epoxy sealer to carved part followed by 3 coats of marine spar satin varnish to the entire sign. Every 3 to 5 yrs lightly sand the sign and apply another coat of marine spar varnish. It looks nice and I have been assured it will hold up well to the elements.

What would a 15"x30" sign with maybe a VectorArt3d carving and a couple lines of text be worth (one of those friend deals)? Just for the labor of carving, not put together or finished.

The Custom Sign Shop / Custom Creations, Flemington NJ

Cedar - Allwood Industries

Friend cost- 350.00 Plus Materials.

If you need help with finishing, let me know. Cedar can be hard to work with sometimes.