Thread: PartWorks: Converting breziers to corners

Default PartWorks: Converting breziers to corners

Hi guys, I'm working on a table router version of my Sydney Harbor Bridge and for some reason all my corners are breziers instead of corners which means I can't add dogbones to them. I remember there was an option to solve this within partworks but I can't find it - any idea?

I've attached a simplified version of my PW file so you can see the problem... I tried everything and I remember having this problem well over a year ago but don't remember how it was solved.

Jon
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

Hi Jon,

Use the curve fit tool and select straight lines for the fitting type. Dont select your inner 'windows' as they have some bezier curves which I assume you want to keep as beziers.

Brian

Jon,

Easiest way i can figure is to export as a dxf excluding the arched windows. Save as a new file delete what you exported then import the dxf. It will straighten out the lines. I just tried it and it works pretty quick.

Regards
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I'll try the DXF route - I don't want or need any brezier tools at all, everything should be straight 90 degree edges (except for the arches). Thanks for your replies... I do remember there was a native way to fix this within PW but just can't remember the steps - it was dead simple though. This was a straight import form AI (Adobe Illustrator).

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

Jon,

Go into node editing and just hover the cursor over the line and when you see the ~, just hit 'L' and it will be changed to a line.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by brian_moran View Post
    Hi Jon,

Use the curve fit tool and select straight lines for the fitting type. Dont select your inner 'windows' as they have some bezier curves which I assume you want to keep as beziers.

Brian
    Jon, This is the way to do it. It's what was recommended when you had the original issue as well.

Works great, thank you all for the amazing advice - once I got all my drawings sorted, it will be time to set-up an index for the ShopBot Desktop as the Sydney Harbor Bridge spans are 800mm and I only have 400mm of room to make them with.

Jon
    --------------

Default Setting A Routine or Schedule

Why should one set a Routine or Schedule.

First the Routine or Schedule helps to Keep work flowing smoothly.

By having a Routine or Schedule you are less likely to jump from one job to the next.

It save Time and Money, By laying out your work week you can lay out what wood you will need for what job, it allows you to see over lapping work (work that can use the same glue up etc.)

It helps to set the flow of the shop, from selection of the wood to the finished product.

Here is my weekly Schedule (this I do every week.)

Sunday after Church and Dinner, I check the computers inventory for any product that is low. What products that are low I add to my work list for that week. I check all orders that have been called in or e-mailed against my inventory to make sure that I have enough on Hand to be able to ship on Thursday. At this time any special or customer request orders are added on to my work list.

Monday Morning I pull all needed wood for the whole weeks work. (by size and by species. Then I edge all wood, plane where needed, glue up where needed. Any orders for that get made on the laser is also started at this time. At my first morning break I start the cnc and allow the spindle to warm up. After the break I load my first run on the cnc. while the cnc is running I re-load the laser, start sanding or slicing products that I had cut the week before, this repeats all day long plus I also do my glue ups .

that afternoon I remove the mornings glue ups and add any more glue ups to the clamp system.

half hour before quit time I start shutting equipment down, and do light clean up.

Tuesday morning while I have coffee I warm the equipment up, bring my wood that will be cut that day to the cnc, (stacking it in order of cutting.)
    get My drop buckets in place. (drop buckets are buckets as I pull parts off the cnc that I put the parts in.) (example mayo knife blanks one 5 gallon bucket, oven rack pull blanks another bucket etc.) While the cnc is cutting out patterns, I am re-sawing my scrap or waste wood from Monday. That afternoon I re-glue up any blanks that I can for re-use or to make into cutting boards.

Wednesday I load the cnc and laser, and slice all the blanks that I have made Monday and Tuesday. I sand all special orders that are finished. As I get finished with other projects I start sanding my Sliced parts and edging them. Any work that is ready to be coated with lacquer or oil are moved to the next work station. 1 hours before quit time I shut down the equipment, do some clean up, place the items that need to soak in oil in the oil bath bin, get my hvlp spray gun filled up, lay out my order of spraying get all of the trays or hanging clips ready. Then I spray everything, putting them on trays or hanging the parts up.

Thursday morning I remove all parts that do not need a 2nd coat, open the drain on the oil tub. Then I lightly sand all that needs the 2nd coat, Spray on the 2nd coat. While the 2nd coat is drying I start pulling orders, and packaging them getting them ready to ship in the afternoon. After lunch I go to the post office and Ship all of the orders that I can at the Post office. I go to UPS office and drop off those packages.
    when I get back the 2nd coat is ready to pull or to be retouched. I take all extra parts or products to the warehouse, I empty the oil bath and add more product.

Friday morning any held over orders that were drying the day before is pulled and packaged. oil bin emptied and refilled. Load truck with orders to be shipped or dropped off at customers, Load my new products and picture album, go get wife drop of packages that are going to ship start sales trip.

Friday does double duty Tina and I have Lunch or supper together at a nice restaurant, I call on exciting customers, as well as new customers, I always take a different route each week, this way I can spot new customers and yet get in touch with old customers.

This routine is basically my routine each week.

set a routine stick to it as close as possible. work smooths out and production goes up.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

This could be the time to upgrade to a Buddy maybe Jon? Very easy to sell the Desktop in Australia particulary now you have those excellent training vids on Utube and of course TJ is using one exclusively for training.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer