Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    Big difference between streaming audio/video and OS patches.
    Not really. The biggest potential security hole is the connection to the PC itself. The mechanism and security for applying the patch to the OS is the same whether it's downloaded from a central server or downloaded peer to peer. If it was something that hackers could do then they could do it with the pre-10 update mechanism as well as it would require hacking Microsoft servers to get the cryptographic keys either way.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Ever since my win 10 install, my spam mail has increased by about 1000%! I use Xeams as a filter but the stuff getting through has burgeoned ridiculously!
    Is anyone else experiencing this?
    SG
    No change here but I installed W10 as a clean install and turned all the tracking stuff off in the custom install option that it presents on the way through. Are you relying on the built-in virus checker? It's really poor (ie virtually useless) at stopping most malicious scripts on websites.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I was looking to upgrade our computers to win 10 but was wondering if CorelDraw x6 was working fine on yours. Everything I seem to read says that the top toolbar that has file, arrange, view etc are now not there until you hover your mouse over it. We use Corel a lot and don't want to do the change unless it run well.

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    OK, continuing to Run Windows 10 here and upgraded my main workstation. I'll have to say, it's the first windows upgrade where things didn't feel backwards and all out of whack. I've been able to intuitively find things and it is faster on every pre-upgrade benchmark I ran, not by much, but faster. I'm running an 8 core system with 16GB RAM and a 1TB mirrored RAID.

So far, all programs work, Aspire 8, Corel X6, SnagIt Editor (runs better actually) etc... The only "major" program I have not tested yet is eCabinet Systems. Just lazy I guess.

I am used to the so called "start" menu. It is different and at first I didn't like it... but it's growing on me. I find if I just look around, I can find things and it does make sense.

I like the added native backup features, one reason I went ahead with the upgrade. You can maintain hourly backups of your files with history on a USB drive AND keep a system image on another drive that can be rotated to the safe etc... So far it seems to work well and it's the first time I think I may be able to use the native backup features and feel comfortable without going with a 3rd party solution.

Windows Defender is built in, it is Microsoft Security Essentials. I know some of you may not trust it, but from what I've learned about it I do. It is the same engine as the commercial corporate "Forefront" solution that Microsoft offers.

When running two screens, I get the start and task bar at the bottom of both screens. Only one system tray, but the task bar is duplicated. I actually like that.

So far, all I really don't like is all the carp that gets turned on. I feel like I spent an hour turning off stuff that sends information to Microsoft.

/RB

Quote Originally Posted by rseeley13 View Post
    I was looking to upgrade our computers to win 10 but was wondering if CorelDraw x6 was working fine on yours. Everything I seem to read says that the top toolbar that has file, arrange, view etc are now not there until you hover your mouse over it. We use Corel a lot and don't want to do the change unless it run well.
    I would not say I use Corel a lot, but I do use it regularly. I'm running the 64 bit version. The only issue I've had so far is sluggishness to open, otherwise once running, no issues. My menu (File Edit View Layout... etc...) is fine and does not disappear on my system.